- advertisement -

Another rage bolus story

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MTMomma, Nov 8, 2009.

1. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

I was very interested to read about the experiences of others regarding rage bolus. DS is now 12 and we had this conversion about 9 months ago.

Me: Why do you think you've had such bad lows this week?
    DS: I don't know.
    Me: Something must be going on.
    DS: (Yelling and almost in tears which is very rare.) I am so sick of feeling high in Math. I hate it. I can't pay attention!
    Me: So what did you do?
    DS: Gave about 15 units in class. (Humalog at at least 3 times his correction factor and while breakfast insulin was just starting to kick in. Not on a pump. Given as an extra injection at least three days that week.)
    Me: So how did that work for you?
    DS: Not good. I hate lows too.
    Me: So why did you do it?
    DS: Because I was mad.

I had no idea at the time there was something called rage bolus and that others have been through this. I wonder how often this occurs in our kids?

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I would compare rage bolusing to my severe low freakouts. I get so scared when Stevens real low that I think more has to be better and get his BGs up faster. Rationally I know thats not true but am not usually rational when hes real low. I think that people especially kids would feel the same way when BGs are high. Give lots of insulin fast to get that bugger down! I can just imagine how uncomfortable our kids are:(

3. Toni

Toni Banned

:eek: Here's the scarey part..... Although parents may be annoyed at the time they rage bolus, we are not high ourselves. A lot of the problem for these kids may be when they are sky high, they just are not thinking clearly. I do know her concentration, retention is way off when she is very high.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I thought when you guys were talking about rage bolusing, you meant bolusing as manipulation against parents, teachers whoever- like bolusing because the parents say "no you can't eat the whole cake for supper".

If rage bolusing just means taking more insulin than you need because you are frustrated with a high, then.... Me too! I don't even see anything wrong with it, other that in your son's case he wasn't telling people what he was doing and he's not solely responsible for his care.
    Sometimes you just want to come down NOW, NOW, NOW! So you figure maybe you'll have to eat later or go low. Better than being stuck at 300 all morning.

5. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

Jason did this a couple of months ago. He was going through lots more insulin. He has since stopped but how scary this is. It was the same reason, he got tired of being so high.