- advertisement -

Another pump bites the dust!

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Tricia22, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I am going to post this in a few places because I would like as many answers as I can get here.

Please answer the following questions:

What kind of pump do you / your child have?
    How long have you had this current pump?
    How many times have you had to have it replaced because of problems with it?

I seem to have problems with my pump every 6 months or so where it needs to be replaced. I used to use another manufacturer, then felt like I was having way too many problems with that pump, so I switched, and it continues. My current pump brand, I have used since November, 2006 and have had it replaced at least 5 or 6 times now... all for "fluke" occurrences. Is it just me?!

**Note: I am not including which pumps I have had in here becuase I don't want to scare people into thinking they're not good pump brands. It may just be me.... :(**

2. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I have a Minimed 522.
    I've had the same one for 1 1/2 years, no problems.
    I've never had it replaced. But then, I've only been pumping for...1 1/2 years, and had D for 2.
    Good luck choosing a new pump!
    ~Emily

3. Tricia22

I don't know if I can get a new pump... I really want to switch back to the company I originally started with, as they have the best reputation, and I had very few issues with their product, but I am not sure what insurance will say about it..... My original company is also winning my questions so far by the least pumps in the most time....
    It just makes me so paranoid that I have been needing a new pump every 6 months or so... you never know when it will crap out or why.... no reason at all for any of my pump failures either.... they were all just "flukes" so that concerns me even more. It would be one thing if I cracked the screen by dropping it and needed a replacement, but this is all stuff that's just no reason for it, and it stops working completely, needing to be replaced.... SCARY!

4. Ann

Ann New Member

Pumps

My son has had the minimed paradigm 712 since 2004.

On average we get it replace 1 to 2 times a year. It just comes up with an error code usually after changing a cartridge. Sometimes it just fries, most likely from static. We were warned about the possibilities of failure, so we take it in stride and they ship us a new one via FED EX overnight.

5. Shutterflymomma

Shutterflymomma Approved members

I've been using Minimed pumps since 1997, and in that time have only been through 4 or 5 total. So I'll say that Minimed pumps in my experience are pretty reliable, and only maybe twice in those 11 years have I had "flukes" that caused replacements. A couple of years ago I had to have my 712 replaced because the down arrow button stopped working. The other time(s) were so long ago I can't even remember any details.

Hope you can get your issues straightened out! I'd be pretty paranoid in your shoes, too!

6. kcard

kcard New Member

I have a MM 522. I had to replace my 515 2 times in 3 years. My 522 is fairly new, so we'll see. I think that we have to realize that these are sort of like machines... the more and longer we use them, it is faily likely something will happen. MM has ALWAYS been very prompt in helping me resolve my issue. Is 6 months too short of a time for replacement? I don't know... I do know that when you replace the original pump, sometimes they send you refurbished pumps.

7. here you are again

here you are again Approved members

What kind of pump do you / your child have? mm722
    How long have you had this current pump? june 2008
    How many times have you had to have it replaced because of problems with it? none, but i am having problems with it lately with no deliveries so i might replace it soon

8. typeoneX2

typeoneX2 Approved members

I have an Animas 1200.
    I've had the same one for 2 1/2 years.
    I've never needed to replace it (knock on wood).
    Graeme - Type 1 for 31 years

9. Macguyver

Macguyver New Member

Hello, I've been Diabetic since I was 5 I've been using the pump since 97 I wanted it for convinence I use the Mini Med 512 I have had to replace it 3 times do to small stuff. I would never go back to the shot thing. I love having it. If you have any questions let me know thanks

Mike

10. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I am on a MM 722 , I have only had it replaced once in 19, and that was just because of a few cracks where the battery cap screws in, and I have replaced the cap a couple of times, on the first one I think , but never this one.

Tricia, were you able to get another brand pump or get the problem with the one you were using ?

11. Tricia22

I am still shopping around, for now this one seems to be working fine, but if history repeats itself, it won't be long before it dies... I will likely go with Minimed, I would like to try their CGMS first though so I can decide if I want to stick wth my Dexcom or have it integrated. I have talk to the rep. and my CDE about that though... not quite sure who you go through for that... when I got my first pump, I got the only one available to kids... Minimed, and then when I got my Cozmo after my Minimed went kaput, I felt comfortable getting it before trying it out... so I haven't had a "trial run" with a pump before really...

12. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

hey Tricia-- I STILL have a MM508, and in 9 years I've only had to have one replacement (Thank God-- since it's been out of warranty for 5 years... :eek:).

I think it's all individual and just chalk it up to electronics. Maybe you just have that electric personality that's causing your pump to go kaput. :p

13. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

That's it, or maybe Tricia has such a magnet personality, the she just shorts it out:D

I have not used the CGMS with my 722, just when my doctor and I were talking about it, I got layed off and lost my insurance, and it is out of my budget these days.