- advertisement -

another post on the new freestyle test strips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vettechmomof2, Nov 8, 2010.

1. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

So what has everyone decided to do concerning using the new strips or not since Insulet emailed us telling us not to until the FDA approves them???

It is hard for the pharmacy to order when they have the same coding and Abbott is not taking any calls right now, claiming they are too busy and you need to call back later. Their messaging has stated that since last week now and still I have no contact!

So, what has everyone decided to do. Use a new meter, use the new strips anyway, or just complain a lot ;).

2. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I'll be curious to see what others say. I just received a shipment of the new ones. What are you doing? Using them?

3. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

We are using them!

4. vettechmomof2

Personally I was going to use them and then got the email from Insulet about not using them so then my brain went like this :confused::rolleyes::eek:

I just got off the phone with Abbott and what a crazy time. The 3 people that I spoke with did not even realize they were not FDA approved yet for the Omnipod, they did verify it eventually but most of their support staff was out at a meeting so it took a while.
    Their is 1 company left(Mini pharmacy) who can still supply the old Freestyles BUT they are probably only doing so until their stock runs out. They could not guarentee that though. My insurance only wants mail order done through Medco without a hassle so I do not think I will even continue through with them on the situation.
    I will probably just use them and if we are seeing issues then switch to a dfferent meter completely.
    My brain is so frazzled right now from the conference calls though and poor wait music that I am probably not making much sense so sorry!

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Are these freestyle or Freestyle light? Will this also impact the Navigator? I don't order my strips from a medical supply company - I usually get them from eBay or Amazon for how few I need, but I want to make sure I get the right ones.

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Do we have a choice? The last time I picked up strips there was 1 box of old and two new:confused:

7. vettechmomof2

These are NOT the Lites. Only the regular Freestyle.
    No choice in the matter as both the old and new have the same NDC number. However I was told by this MINI pharmacy that they have an extra internal code to differentiate between the old and new ones but again was told that it was probably only until their supply runs out and he had no idea when that would be.

8. Traci

Traci Approved members

Wow. I called Omnipod and they did a three way call with Abbott who informed me immediately that they would be replacing all of my strips without issue. Both companies were very responsive and agreeable. Abbot even told me that they would not stop making the old strips until the new ones were FDA approved for the Omnipod. The abbott rep also said that from what they were hearing, the fda approval was forthcoming shortly.

So in answer to the op, I'm returning my new strips and getting old ones.

9. vettechmomof2

As the companies are working through their stock you will get this and now probably only get the new ones.

10. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

We're still using them. Not sure how we'd get the old strips anyway. Our pharmacy has filled our presciption with the new strips for the past couple of months.

We also have a FreeStyle Lite meter and strips and have checked a couple of unusual numbers and the numbers have always been consistent. We've also used the new strips in a Flash meter and the number has been consistent with what the OmniPod has read.

11. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I talked to Abbot 2 days ago, they overnighted me some strips. My pharmacist has had a little trouble finding the "old" ones, but is rounding up a supply for us.

Granted, we couldn't get them immediately when we dropped off our prescriptions, that was annoying, but so far, it's working out.

12. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

We're still using them also! I tested them with both freestyle meter and pdm. They were close enough all the times I tested to be concerned! Even with the same meter I've tested one right after the other just to make sure the number was correct and still got a big difference (with clean hands). I feel pretty comfortable using them.

13. timsma

timsma Approved members

Just curious,,,are the new strips good in BOTH the flash AND the lite meters? I have a lot of the 'old' flash strips, but want to switch to the lite strips as my son uses the freestyle lite now instead of the flash. If the new strips work in both meters, would anyone be interested in trading strips then? We don't use the pod, so that is a non issue for us. Our insurance will cover the flash strips, but not the lite strips.

14. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

We are still using the new strips, have been since August.

I did call Abbott, they are sending me replacement strips, should be here tomorrow. They tried to locate a pharmacy near us that may still have old stock, no luck. I am due to order from Express Scripts, I will see if they have old, if not then we will use what we have, Have not had any issues to date.