- advertisement -

Another Pod failure. This time at Taylor Swift concert

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3kidlets, Jul 14, 2013.

1. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We have had a very bad streak of failures with the new pods. We have made it the full three days maybe with 5 pods. The rest have failed within hours of starting a new pod. Usually during bolusing but also at random times, and they are never convenient times. Wednesday night was at a swim meet. Last night was at a Taylor Swift concert. Fortunately I had needles and insulin with me, as I have learned my lesson. This pod was only a few hours old. I gave her hourly injections of novolog for the basal. She never went above 230 even with the junk food. we were on the pod for almost three years before the new ones. We had failures, but ever to this extent! Beyond frustrating.

2. Dan

Dan Approved members

Where do you get your supplies. Also do they stay outside in the heat?

3. 3kidlets

Initially, we got them from Insulet and then had to switch to EdgePark. We've been young EdgePark for a year and never had an issue. However, I paid for the new pods out of pocket thru American Diabetes Wholesaler. We've only had one shipment and they weren't left outside. Our next order, shipping Monday, will be from EdgePark. Will see what happens with that batch.

4. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I don't know if this has been mentioned on any of these Omnipod threads, but on the Omnipod Facebook page people have discovered that you can't fill the pod even 1u past the 200u mark, if you fill to the maximum line your pod will fail. Maybe immediately maybe several hours later, but it won't work at all, that has been the consensus and what people have learned when they call Insulet. Apparently Insulet is going to make new syringes that take that max line away to help prevent that, but they are apparently being really good about replacing all of these pods that are failing randomly.

5. 3kidlets

Interesting. We don't fill to 200. Right after I wrote this post, the new pod I out on at midnight after the concert failed too. That's 3 in 48 hrs.

6. Traci

Traci Approved members

I fill the syringe to 200, but never push it all in to avoid getting air in the pod. No issues so far (knocking on wood!).

7. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I think I'd be wayyyy too frustrated to even continue using the pods. I hope the next batch works better for you

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

LA LA LA..... I'm not reading this, I'm not reading this!!!!!!!!!!! (We're starting up with the new pods on Wednesday. ;) )

Seriously though, sorry you're having such a bad time. We had a few bad batches with the old pods a few years ago and it was beyond frustrating! Hope it all works out soon! :cwds:

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I'm starting to appreciate the month-long (so far) delay with my order of the new pods.

10. Dan

Dan Approved members

Interesting we have always gotten Pods from EdgePark so I would like to see if supplier is related to your issues. Also we never fill past 200 so maybe this why I have not had any issues.

11. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We've had terrible results on pods, too. So many failures. Our DME supplier doesn't carry pods so we order directly from Insulet.

I arranged for a T:Slim demo and I'm calling Animas today. We're switching DD off the pods as soon as possible.

Interesting note on the 200 units. We do fill to the max for DD, which is over 200. DS's is only filled to the minimum required. They both have failures but DS actually has more failures so I can't say the fill amount has been an issue. Limiting DD to less than 200 would mean that we would have to change it even more often!!

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

Are you sure you can actually deliver more than 200U? I only ask because the manual says that the maximum delivery is 200.

13. Luke's Mom

Luke's Mom Approved members

We too have had numerous pods fail since the day we were trained. We did the 'cut the cord' program and had the new pods at the beginning of April. Stuck w/ them for about 3 weeks - had a 60% failure rate - even w/ retraining because I thought we were doing something wrong. That pod failed 2 hours after the trainer left (the 2nd time)
    We got the pods directly from Omnipod.
    Sad, because DS really liked them - when they worked!

Omnipod reps reply was ' it's gotta be him - because we really aren't seeing any unusual failure rates with the new pods' ... Guess it's not just us!

Gonna stick w/ minimed until Omnipod figures this out!!