- advertisement -

Another Minimed CGM question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by redheadmom, Feb 3, 2013.

1. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

Have any of you succeeded in using a Minimed pump as a CGM only? Meaning not actively pumping with it, but using it as a Guardian of sorts. If so, does the pump need a reservoir in it to use it in this way?

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Yes it is really simple. You don't have to put a reservoir in but you might want to just to protect the piston (I think that is what it is called...). You can cut the tubing off an infusion set attached to a reservoir to hook it in. I use my MM 522 like that while using the omnipod.

I don't think you can actually shut the pump part off. What I do is go into basal under menu and click on a pattern under set/edit basal. Then I put in a 0.0 basal rate. I use that pattern while using the pump as only a CGM. I think you may have to turn patterns on. You would do that under the first basal menu screen. That avoids needed to set a temp basal of 0 and having it buzz every hour.

Let me know if you have any questions.

3. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

Thank you so much!

I had to retire my Dexcom because of persistent Tylenol use, and my insurance company is saying they won't buy me a Minimed until June.

But someone I know is lending me their backup Minimed pump and all the cgm paraphernalia...but neither she nor I knew how to use it without the pump part.

Thanks again!

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Your welcome. I just realized you use an omnipod so probably don't have minimed supplies lying around. If you need a reservoir to stick in the pump PM me your address and I will stick some in the mail along with the tubing top part that hooks in to the compartment.