- advertisement -

Another GF dinner

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Nancy in VA, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

So, I'm barely making it one meal at a time with planning our GF meals - I need to get ahead on it but I'm just not there yet.

So, at 2pm hubby and I were IMing to decide what to have for dinner. Hubby said Chinese. I decided that we would order and I would make Emma's. I haven't gotten Oyster Sauce yet because I need to order it online so I couldn't make exactly what I want.

But, I ordered chicken and broccoli with mushrooms for my other 2 kids and me, rice for all of us, and I made chicken and broccoli for Emma with GF soy sauce.

It wasn't too bad. She liked it. I think she'll like it better when I can get GF oyster sauce. She wasn't a big fan of the brand of GF soy sauce I got, so I might try a couple of other brands.

But, we made it through another family meal GF. She had her own food but the same food as us - that's all I can hope for. She's not happy she can't have a fortune cookie, though :(

So, we are muddling through the transition begrudgingly but we are getting through it.

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Yeah! One meal at a time. It will get easier, I promise! The worst is finding what is good and what is grose! I am sure you already have found some stuff that you immediately said, "I paid X dollars and I can't take one bite!" If not, you are lucky! We wasted so much money trying to find a bread we liked at first.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Nancy, I heard that one of those "Meal Maker" outfits in the area will do gluten-free...you know, the ones where you go and create a week's worth of meals? Maybe in Chantilly or Centreville?

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Actually, Becky, just today our travel baseball team for my son sent out an email that they are doing a fundraiser at the one in Centreville. I emailed them and they can basically do all but one menu item with gluten free alternatives. So, I am definitely going. It will be nice to have some things in the freezer for when I don't plan in advance that I know is gluten free. So, it was fortuitous that the email came out today and I was so happy to see that they had gluten free options.

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Yay!! Another successful meal!!

I really don't understand fortune cookies not being gf, but so far we haven't found any that are - although I have to say I haven't really searched. My girls still have to see their fortune - then they go wash their hands.:rolleyes:

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Guess what I found today?!

[​IMG]

They don't look like "regular" fortune cookies, but they are GF (marked as such on the box) and they have fortunes rolled up in them!

I have more info and pictures on my blog (link in my sig file.)
    Eileen

7. Grace's Mom

Grace's Mom Approved members

Yahoo!!!!! Thank you! I've been reading the recipes on how to make them, but they look super difficult to make and form (and with GF flours, I can only imagine how difficult)! We'll be ordering -- thank you much, my daughters will be so thrilled!

8. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Not having fast food Chinese or Thai as a dinner option was hard for us. I, too, want T to have what we eat, just GF. We did discover that Pei Wei Chinese has a GF menu. So that is where we order from everytime the Chinese craving comes on. Their GF menu is not big but it is available. We call ahead and pick it up--or sometimes eat in. Not sure if you have a Pei Wei near you or not--for us it's been great. (No GF fortune cookies, though.)

9. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

My in-laws bring GF soy sauce to their local Chinese food restaurant and ask them to use it when they cook their order. They also ask that the sauce only be thickened with corn starch and water. I would be afraid of cross contamination but my sister in law, who is highly sensitive to gluten has not had a problem.

10. debiminlo

debiminlo Approved members

GF Oyster Sauce

Hi, Nancy,
    I've been on a mission for a couple of years now, trying to find GF oyster sauce. So far, it's one asian ingredient that doesn't seem to exist in a gf version. There are several very good hoisin sauces, and I think I found one black bean sauce, but no oyster sauce. I have several large Asian grocery chains to choose from, but no luck.
    Please post if you somehow manage to find one!

11. aklap

aklap Approved members

Have y'all seen this?

http://www.honestfoods.com/oyster.html

12. debiminlo

debiminlo Approved members

GF Oyster Sauce

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Aklap!

I just ordered some.

13. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I need to order some of that!