- advertisement -

Another Dexcom question...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tiger7lady, Nov 2, 2011.

1. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

We just started using the Dexcom last night and I've had a couple questions pop up. I tried looking it up on the forums but I wasn't really getting anywhere.

1. The more often you enter finger stick readings - does that make the sensor more accurate? For example, you have to calibrate it every 12 hours so if I am entering a BG reading every 4 hours does that make the readings more accurate?

2. My son sleeps on his stomach - sensor is on his stomach. He was reading HIGH on CGM in the middle of the night but his finger stick was 296. I figure the higher and or lower the reading the less accurate it will be but does the pressure of sleeping on it mess it up too?

3. I know he has some nasty spikes after breakfast. If I set the high alert it will go off all the time. What do you have set for your high alerts and low alerts?

4. Is the 5ft limit between receiver and transmitter really 5ft? I had the receiver on the dresser less than 5 ft away last night and it got out of range.

Thanks!

2. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

1. It seems like this would work, but unless you're more than 10 percent off, the common wisdom is that you leave the calibration alone. I believe Darryl has a good article about calibrations and someone more adept at posting and referencing will chime in.
    2. ABSOLUTELY. Sleeping on the sensor can cause false readings both high and low.
    3. 150 for highs and 80 for lows so we can catch them before they're emergencies. On the weekends, we set the high alert lower (when we remember, that is)
    4. 5' should be right, but we put the sensor in the bed with her, next to her pillow, at night so we don't have the out of range problem. Sleeping on the sensor could also affect the range, too.
    Good luck we love the Dexcom and would give up the pump before the Dex!

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We have personally found that entering more BG DOES make it more accurate, but ONLY if you enter semi-normal numbers. Entering highs and lows tends to confuse the issue, in our experience (though Dex says you can do it). My son does tend to enter more often than twice and he's had some pretty good accuracy most of the time.

Sleeping does mess with the sensor, yes, and we see false highs/lows when he's directly on it. But I'm not sure of your example...he read high and he tested very high, so what was the problem?

For after meal spikes you can alter how it alarms, the menu is so simple that we often do that by setting the high alarm to silent. Just remember to switch it back at night. My son keeps his at 70-160, most of the time.

The 5' is one thing that irritates me. I've had similar experiences where it seemed awfully close but no reading, but then this morning he left it in his sports bag pretty far away and it still read, so who knows...

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

1. We've had better accuracy when we calibrate more often. That's especially true when we've calibrated during a low (not a fast drop) or a high (not a fast rise). I would be careful not to calibrate too much though, because it can sometimes cause the sensor to go really wonky & stay that way.

2. We only use the arms for sensors, but pressure can definitely affect the accuracy & also lead to the dreaded ???s.

3. Our high for school days is set to 240 & on vibrate only. I do this to cut down on the aggravation it causes her during class. If I see that she's ignoring the alerts too often, I'll set it lower & turn the beep back on until she pays attention again. :p When she's not in school, the high alert is set to 160.

4. I think we've been very fortunate with our receivers. We get amazing range, sometimes up to 30'. If she's in her room, we'll put the receiver on top of the computer desk in the living room. It seems to improve the range. Keep in mind that other electronics in your house can interfere with the signal, as well as wall/door thickness.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

1. As long as those calibrations are not entered at times when blood sugar is going way up or down, or right after a low, then yes (for me at least).

2. Not for me, but it does make the sensor site hurt.

3. Right now I have it set to 140, usually I have it at 160 or 180, and some days I just don't want to be bothered so I turn it off or set it up around 280. I do not have meal spikes unless I goof something.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think the longer you use it the better you learn about placement and cals - to make it work the best for you!

7. tiger7lady

Thank you all for the responses! I adjusted his overnight basals yesterday and his graph showed almost a complete straight line between 90-100 all night long last night. What a beautiful thing! Now if I could just figure out what to do with his meal spikes. I knew they were bad but I didn't realize they were this bad.

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Is he pre bolusing as much as possible, and have you tried the super bolus? That is when you "borrow' the basal for an hour or two and add it to the bolus, setting a temp basal to close to 0.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

We super bolus 2 hours for breakfast but we still get spikes - I don't recall how high.

I've seen some pretty crazy ranges for instance, we recieved a new receiver because it stopped beeping and after startup on the new one I took the old one down stairs and I noticed it received about half the data. We've put it in the bathroom next to his, with a wall in between, because it was off and driving us crazy and it still picked up. We've also had it right by the bed within 2 feet and it went out of range.

I think charging it sometime causes the range to go wonky.

10. tiger7lady

I had not heard about super bolusing. I'll have to give that a shot for breakfast tomorrow. We get spikes with Lunch and Dinner but Breakfast is the worst.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

We super bolus by giving the correction, if any is needed, the carb coverage and 2 hours worth of basal all at the same time and set temp basal to OFF (actually we use 0.05 - the lowest setting) for 2 hours.

12. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

A comment on the 5' rule - we can have it in the room with her and get readings. I keep it under her pillow while sleeping.

Our CDE said that if you have it on a metal table, or something made mostly of metal, it will not transmit properly. I don't know why that happens, but she mentioned that during our training.