- advertisement -

Another CGM question - back of arm?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Jul 21, 2012.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I am trying to get up my courage to try CGM again. My 5 year old son just hated insertion - so we haven't done it in quite a while.

I am wanting to use his arm - but please clarify - is the placement in the back meaty part of the arm? THat would be my guess - but just not sure.

Any other placement advice? We wear Sites pretty exclusively on the rear end.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, the back meaty part of the arm is right. Some people move them around to the side, too. Basically you just want to avoid the bicep area.

Do you use numbing creme? We wouldn't have gotten very far without it.

3. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

My DS is rather concerned about this, too. We were just talking about this a few days ago, and I said I'd look up some threads on here. I think he's wondering how he's supposed to insert the sensor on the back of his arm, how far up or down, if he has enough there to use it, etc. I think we're going to have to find a YouTube video on it before he works up the courage to try it. We saw a skinny girl at camp with a sensor there, but he's still a bit nervous about it. He's a pretty skinny guy.

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

Adult here but thin. I use my arms. I bend my elbow and then start high but below the shoulder and not right on the back or front but in that in between area. I actually poke around with my finger to find a "meatier-softer" area. I can get maybe 6 to 8 good spots and then move to the other arm. I wear my sensors for one week so do not reuse a spot for 12 to 16 weeks. The numbing creme is a god idea as it can smart depending on the angle. I am anxiously waiting for the new MM shorter sensor. You can adjust the depth and find more comfortable angles of insertion but it can sting so though I do not use it the numbing cream might really help. Good luck. :)Ali
    P.S. I do not insert myself but have my hubby do it.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We do the side of the upper arm. We leave the back for pump sites. Arms are her fav. pump sites so we keep the back specifically for the that and rotate the side of the arm for sensors only.

6. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I use the side and back; my mother helps me insert it. I also put mine on horizontally, because when it was on vertically, I got some wonky results, but that could be just me.

7. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

We are considering an arm site, too, for next week's sensor.

I always change DD's Dexcom sensors at night while she's asleep. She swears they hurt worse than her pump sites.

We do use numbing spray if she's awake.

8. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

We use arms only so far. I think I'm going to try his thighs next. He is now wearing the Pod so we have to rotate two items now.

I was told anywhere you'd give an injection is where you can put the sensor.

Arms give us great numbers so I hope the other places will too.

9. mollygolly

mollygolly Approved members

We use the back of arms and side of thighs for sensors on our DD and use belly and bum for sites. We found we get much better reading on the arms and legs then the belly and bum. We don't always use emla for site changes but always do for sensors.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we get great numbers on the thighs and great wear time too. just can't do them in mid summer with the slip and slide! can you say belly flop!

we have tried the bottom a fewtimes but never got great numbers out of them.