- advertisement -

Another basal question for young teens/old tweens

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom264, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I've asked about basals before and although it seems like the teenage basals increase A LOT, I'm wondering if anyone's CWD basal needs go up a alot for just a few hours overnight?

She sits about 0.5 basal for most of the day. Then between 1:30 -4:30 am, if I'm doing my math correctly when I divide the correction boluses-- the basal increases to 1.5 units an hour.

That's three times as much basal insulin per hour just for those a few hours. Im baffled. Any one else see this?

What do you think?

(No she is not menstruating yet. We several generations of late bloomers here. So I don't expect it for at least another year.)

Thanks in advance.

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Yes my daughter needed exactly three times her usual basal from 1 AM to 4 AM after her honeymoon ended when she was 13. Still does at 15.

3. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Thank you, Tina. It is good to know that this is not an unheard of increase. I feel much better!

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I know its really scary at first to give such a huge increase in the middle of the night. But for us atleast, its just what she needs and makes our night cgm graphs smooth right out.

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler's basal needs are about double during the night...but there are certainly nights when I am correcting, correcting, correcting...then other nights he holds steady in the low 100's....

This is fun isn't it:p

6. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Same here. Brian has huge basal needs at night, much higher than day. My endo described it is "pre-pubescent" slow down -- increased basal, increased sleep, increased weight, but no apparent growth. Get ready and batten down the hatches.....

7. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I'm a little frustrated. I increased the basal and still had a hugh BG spike that started at 1:45 am and just took off.
    Perhaps if I increase the basal an hour earlier I can head it off. I really prefer that even line to the spike and chase that is happening.

You know, it just feels like at nine years into this, it would be easier to figure this stuff out. That by now I should have mastered the "formula":(.

8. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I would increase the basal earlier. This has been a heck of a roller coaster ride with my DD so far. In the last six months, we've been anywhere between 0.5 units an hour and 2.0 units per hour!!! Changes all the time!