- advertisement -

Another Bad Diabetes Article Re Type 1 and Type 2

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Oh, I get it now.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I just saw the end of the story on the Goerie edition. He's hawking his "no flour no sugar" book.

Whoever wrote this article (because it's likely he didn't do it himself) doesn't give two rips about educating about diabetes. It's one more attempt to use "diabetes" as a boogeyman to scare people into buying cr#p.

I am so furious, our newspapers don't even read what they print these days, every other story is just an advertisement. The industry has completely degraded. None of these stories is ever going to get corrected because that's not what newspapers do, they print what content they get for free, without review, and if people get worked up about it, hey, it's just more page hits.

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

There was a repeat of that Dr Oz (Oprah) show this week, too! :eek::eek:

3. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I commented, too. Shoot he didn't even get the information about type 2 correct. I mean I basically stated he should learn the facts instead of spouting off such incorrect information. And you are right, people will actually say, "Well, he's a doctor so he has to be right." And it just goes to show if he spouts such erroneous information how many more doctors spout erroneous informationa about diabetes as well?

4. sassypantz

sassypantz Approved members

I swear, I'm going have an aneurysm. I made the mistake of mentioning the article (and how angry it makes me) on Facebook.

My sister (who is a nurse) says: "It is a fact that people with Type 2 can and will eventually stop producing insulin all together, hence the Type 1...the terminology is screwy and that is why they are trying to get away from the... See More usage of 1 & 2 and move to "Early onset"&"Late onset" (though with the increasing number of obese children being diagnosed with Type 2 is gong to mess with that).
    Now, regarding the "cure", that is in the section regarding Type 2, not Type 1. It is a fact that Type 1 can not currently be cured (fact that he left out on the Type 1 section). Type 2, in most cases (not all), can be "cured" with weight loss and easily controlled by diet."

It is aparently an industry-wide misconception that needing insulin makes you Type 1. And naturally, they all think that since they have the degree, they are right.

*sigh*

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Holy Cow. I'm so sorry, that would drive me nuts.

I bet there are some type 2s out there that might take a bit of issue with the whole "easily controlled by diet" thing.

I still say that until people get rid of their stupid misconceptions about Type 2 we'll never be able to get things straight about Type 1. Type 2 is not something you give yourself by eating donuts and watching TV. It is a medical condition that can get worse or better with certain food and activity, like many medical conditions. This blame the diabetic thing is getting old, type 2s don't deserve to be sick, either.

6. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Even on this forum I read lots of misconceptions regarding T2D. Yes, weight plays a big role for many, but there are folks with Type 2 who are not overweight. The old term "Insulin Dependent" for Type 1 did a great disservice, because it gave people the perception that anyone who used insulin had T1.

Chuck

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I agree, I think it's everywhere.

I have a couple folks I know that watch their diet, exercise a lot, are very proud of their lifestyle but have Type 2 in the family. They are defensive when they see numbers that suggest they might be diabetic or pre-diabetic. Telling someone he might be diabetic (type 2) is, to some people, the same as accusing them of something. So they don't get proper medical care, because they find the idea of asking a doctor about diabetes something to be ashamed of and when the doctor suggests it from test numbers they get angry or switch doctors. I'm afraid they fall into the category of folks with spikes into the 200s after meals, consistently, and in ten years will see the result of that, but they will never know it because they don't want that scarlet D on their shirts.

But they'll buy a bunch of books about how to not get diabetes. It's a real disservice, but the media just seems to be ramping up the fad.

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

I also have my doubts that he actually writes the column these days. He is quite elderly and "old school". He likes to include reader's home remedies (which I like lol). One of my favorites is if you have leg cramps you put a bar of soap under your sheet and they go away. I tried it and it worked for me :D:p. However, his no flour no sugar diet..please...

It will be interesting to see if any revision of his column ever comes out. He has posted corrections in the past. I certainly hope so, because there was just so much wrong with this article!!:mad:

9. sassypantz

sassypantz Approved members

Rrr, anther friend of mine tried to defend the article, too, citing herself as an example because she has "Type 1.5". But her change from Type 2 to "1.5" came at the same time she suffered a horrible autoimmune event that also caused congestive heart failure. I'm like, "Yes, AUTOIMMUNE is the operative word here." I had to walk away before I said something I couldn't take back later! :eek:

Then I read my horoscope for today:

"Keep a careful eye on how you use your new superpower. A superior ability to unerringly wield words as weapons (if subtle weapons that are almost never seen as such until it's far too late) begins just about now. No matter how long the battle has raged, go easy on your opponents for the time being. You know you're brainier and better connected to reality, so there's nothing to prove -- except your fairness."

ROFL!

10. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

The fact is even though a person has type 2 and if needs to loses weight it will not cure his or her type 2 diabetes either. Yes the person may have better control but I can guarantee the diabetes is not gone. There currently is no cure for type 2 or type 1. The second thing is yes, the beta producing cells do die out with type 2 over time and many end up on insulin and can even become insulin dependent but that doesn't mean they are now type 1. They are still type 2. I have several friends who are insulin-dependent and they are type 2.

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I never thought of the way using "insulin dependent" perpetuated this in a way.

You're right it seems like 99% of the articles on type 2 talk about weight being a factor. I like to spread awareness about type 1 on facebook, but so many articles with type 1 and type 2 mention weight with type 2. I won't pass those along. I've become so particular about articles being accurate it's hard to find one that is written correctly to pass on for diabetes awareness. :eek:

12. Mom of 15 yr old

Mom of 15 yr old Approved members

I posted too

I read the article in our local paper the other day. I was angry and upset with what he wrote. I am sure all of you out there has heard this about your type 1 child, "Well what did you feed him" " Did he eat a lot of sugar" "When will this end" "No wonder she got it - she IS a bit overweight" Ignorance is what I like to call it. No family history, eats healthy, is active. You tell me what causes this. I would love to fix whatever it is so other kids don't have to deal with the daily monitoring, daily shots, and the rude comments from others. (Sorry just venting a bit).

13. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

this is a little late...but I also wanted to state that there is a HUGE population of elderly that are type 2 not because of weight or autoimmune but due to their aging, their pancreas has just stopped producing enough insulin. Both my sister and my mother work in rehab and retirement centers and I was discussing this very topic with them and how it's sadly a mis/underrepresented population that doesn't have great treatment options either because there isn't any information or research about how to properly treat the geriatric patient whom has insulin deficiency.
    So...seems that articles like these are just lacking in general and not educating anybody at all. Sad!

14. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I googled this guys credentials and was REALLY hoping he would end up being a chiropractor or something. Good grief. An MD? How did you get so far in life while still being so stupid?