- advertisement -

Another 6 year old in my town was dx..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Carseatmama, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

I found out yesterday from my Doc that she just had to send another child to the Children's Hospital for d, a boy. I asked her if she would contact the mom to see if we could talk. It would be great for Kadie to have someone her age to hang out with. And for me to have someone too. I hope the mom agrees:) I'm sure she is going through the same shock that we all went through in the begining.:cwds:

2. browneyesjt

browneyesjt Approved members

How interesting...we also heard from Angel's nurse yesterday that another student at the school has just been diagnosed.:eek: The family was at UNM in Albuquerque at the time. I also asked if we might meet the family to support and learn from each other.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

What part of Iowa is it? My husband's family is from Northwest Iowa and they acted like they had never heard of a child with it. But it is a very small town.

4. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

We live right on the Mississippi River about 40 mins from the Quad Cities.

5. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

It always bothers me to hear about another child and parents getting that news. I hope they reach out to you. I would have loved for someone to have reached out to me in the beginning.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh what a shame:( hate hearing this. I do hope she feels comfortable getting in touch with you and then coming in here. Hope the little fella is doing ok

7. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

She is soooo lucky to have you reaching out to her...so chances are when it sinks in she will reach back. You are a wonderful person to do this..:)

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That stinks.

We had a 10 year old diagnosed a few weeks ago here. Makes 4 in our school now:(

9. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

Good job on reaching out! My biggest wish is that somehow someone could have come up to visit us the night of dx because that was my scariest time. You don't understand and you think it means your baby is dying or something.

If possible ask the doc to ask them if it's OK for the doc to give you their number. I was given a few phone numbers but didn't want to feel like I was bothering people so I didn't call but if someone had called me I would have gladly listened.

10. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

She's very fortunate to have you reach out to her. When my dd was diagnosed there was a boy in her class with type 1. I called his mom before dd even came home from the hospital, and she came over on our first day home, spent 3 hours with us, brought us a scale, shared all of their school materials with us, and offered to go grocery shopping with me if I was overwhelmed by it. She was a true angel, and it was a real blessing to have her offer that support when we were still completely shell-shocked. Hopefully you and this other family can really help each other out!

11. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Carol, where in NW Iowa. That is where I came from--Sioux City to be exact. Just moved to CO last month.