- advertisement -

Annoying neighbor payback

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ScottB, Oct 9, 2010.

1. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I've got a neighbor who a couple of years ago bought a house with lake front access across from us and spent a minimum of $250,000 (doesn't include purchase price either) refurbishing the house with the hopes of selling it which of course has yet to happen due to the housing market here so in order to get some money back from the place, the owner rents it out as a party/vacation house for weekends, a whole week or for however long the party animals that are renting have enough money to pay for. Usually whomever rents it keeps their party antics to themselves and we have no problem with that however from time to time some idiots will rent the place for a weekend and have total disregard to us other neighbors that actually live here and have to get up in the morning for work and they do this by lighting off some serious fireworks the moment the sun goes down. I'm not talking about stuff that goes pop or pow, I'm talking about mortar rounds that go KABOOM and rattle windows, they even have a mortar canon near their pier. Well last night around 9 pm someone was over there lighting off mortars and I was getting thoroughly upset about it because I've been working 11 hour workdays 5 sometimes 6 days a week and need to be asleep by at least 9 so I can wake up at 3:30 am for work and of course that's hard to do when your windows are rattling due to some mortar round going kaboom. Well anyhow I was sitting on our front porch trying to come up with failsafe yet dastardly deeds I could do to shut them up when about that time a local police arrived and immediately hopped out of his patrol car in their drive and soon after a Sheriffs department car arrived as well and busted them red handed. I of course was on my porch cheering my local law enforcement on. I was so pleased that earlier tonight I stopped by our local police station and asked that they let the officer that responded that I said "THANK YOU!!!", I even figured out which neighbor it was that called them in the first place and thanked them as well. I still had a hard time falling asleep because I was too busy giggling listening to busted neighbors throwing a fit.:D

The lesson learned here folks is that if any of you decided to have a holiday here in Monticello, do yourself a favor and leave your fireworks at home although we will let you slide if it's the 4th of July.

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Sleep well and sweet dreams !

3. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I was reading that and wondering if fireworks would be illegal .. they are in Maine .. glad you got some rest!

Crystal

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

They are illegal here in CT too but they have them in PA so people can buy them and set them off. We have always been respectful when setting off fireworks to do it earlier in the evening. I always think of people with babies or young children that are trying to sleep at that time of night. Glad the police caught them and I hope the home owner learns that he needs to be careful who rents his property

5. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Nice!

Usually in my neighborhood its the off duty cops shooting up the fireworks!

But its only in the month of July.

6. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I'm not sure about the exact wording of the law regarding fireworks in Indiana but what ever it is it's lamely enforced. "Temporary" fireworks businesses pop up all over the place the month before and after the 4th of July selling fireworks that are not illegal to sell but they are illegal to set off such as firecrackers and bottle rockets. The way they get around it is a customer has to sign a form that basically promises that the purchaser wont use them within Indiana state lines so then the business selling them can't be held liable and I'm not making this stuff either ridiculous as it sounds. Of course the people who sign these forms light them off anyway and with almost the entire town here lighting something off during the 4th of July, it's nearly impossible for the local police to enforce the law so they pretty much ignore it unless someone does something really stupid.

The stuff that the neighbor was setting off however is the kind of stuff that you wont find at any fireworks store because you the purchaser would need a license or permit to buy it let alone set it off. And it's not like we live way out in the middle of nowhere either which is why this has been so frustrating in the past because the house in question is located next to a bridge that goes over Lake Freeman and the pier where they set them off is on the shoreline below the bridge. Imagine driving across a bridge minding your own business when all of a sudden a "starburst" blows up over your head followed by a big kaboom and the people doing it are in full view. How they've gotten away with it for as long as they have I have no clue.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is something that always made me wonder. Abby goes to D camp in Greenwich the week before the 4th every year. Right across from where we stay is a guy who sets up out of the back of a truck and sells them. How can that happen?

Unfortunately, in NH, Live Free or Die rings true with fire works. They are way too common around here.

Glad they were busted, I don't mind them as long as they are respectful of others and the times they are lighting them off.

8. lynn

lynn Approved members

Around here everybody drives to Indiana to buy fireworks. Firecrackers aren't even allowed in Michigan.

I'm glad the cops solved your neighbor problem!

9. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Another solution is to get the weed wacker out at 6 the next morning and start trimming things near the property line :D

10. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

If they noise continues, call the police. They will pressure the "owner" who may think twice about who they rent to if they are on the hook. Nothing is solved by silently suffering.