- advertisement -

Annoyed with School Nurse (non-D issue)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by NicksMother, May 12, 2010.

1. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

Last fall, the school nurse sent out information about changes in the vaccination requirements for the 2010-2011 school year. After looking over the list, I realized my DS would need a varicella (chicken-pox) booster before school starts in August 2010. No problem....I made a note so I wouldn't forget. In February, I received a phone call from the nurse asking if he had gotten his shot yet. I told her no, but I was aware he needed the shot and we would take care of it before school started next fall.

Today....I took DS to the Doctor for a follow up appointment for mono. On the front of his chart, there was a sticky note about needing the varicella. I questioned the clerk at the front desk and she told me the school sent them a list of all their patients that needed the shot!:mad:

Am I out of line to think this is harrassment?? The first letter informed me about the changes.....the phone call reminded me....contacting the doctor was uncalled for.

2. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

It would annoy me since like you I feel I am a responsible parent and would get the shot done before the new year. But I assume others just never would so that is why they took it a step further? But in that case they should have asked permission to call and let your Dr. know ...

Crystal

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

No I dont think you are out of line at all. Its not as if you had refused to comply with getting your son the vaccine. She gave you 2 reminders and thats where her responsibility ends.

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

More importantly I do not believe they "the School" can force you to get a vaccine. So I view the note to the DR. as an attempt to have another authority figure give you the impression that you have to do this. Check on your form but mine always have a place to say you are not getting the vaccine and a place to check why. Hope someone else chimes in I may be way off base. Ali

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I do think this is true. I'd be annoyed as well. I'm one of those people who selectively vax, I have a problem with drs, nurses or schools telling me what I should do for my kid!!
    We had issues a bit this past fall with the h1n1. I kept getting told that there were free clinics for it. I had no intention of going due to my personal decision of talking to a few different drs. Again, it was my choice.

6. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I wouldn't be annoyed at all. I can use all the reminders I can get.

you wouldn't believe how many parents will just forget the shot and technically your child can't go to school without it if its a new requirement, unless you can opt out for somereason.

7. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I would be very annoyed at something like this.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

OK, I'm trying to look at both sides...I DO think it's annoying, and I would probably also be annoyed.

On the flip side, it sounds like she sent a list of all the students, so even if she thought you would be fine....Maybe there are others that need to be reminded and she just grouped all of you together?? If she sent a "List" it's probably not personal.

Do you live in a small town with only a couple of Docs? How would she even know who to send that to?

9. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

We do live in a rural area. At the beginning of each school year, we fill out health papers but no where does it say the nurse has permission to contact the doctor unless it is an emergency.

10. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Your child is just getting over Mono? I would not vaccinate a child whos immune system is already battling a virus such as mono.. Didnt the pedi mention that? Dont worry about the school...they are covering their butts...just tell them you will and plan on getting your child the varicella vaccine as soon as HIS immune system is strong enough...Would I be annoyed at the school for sending that to pedi? naaaaa...like I said they are covering themselves and everything these days is a paper trail... I hope your child is feeling better...mono is no fun :(((

11. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Ok so i see both ends of this as well.

1st YES i would be annoyed...

Every state is diffrent. Some states you can freely opt out of the vaccines, some you can only for certain reason with or with out doc's ( IE religous preferance ) . As far as the nurse ( or school) contacting the doc's office. THey can..I can call your docs office and tell them any thing i want to.. BUT they can not release any thing to me, they can not discuss any thing with me.. they cant even confirm that you are a patient there.. BUT I can tell them all i wanted and its up to them what they do with that. It sounds like the nurse did a group thing and not singled any one out. SO I would try to look at it from that perspective that she was not trying to single you out... I personally would be annoyed with the doctors office and would grill them a bit more about the note on why they felt that they information that the nurse provided was so important that they felt like it needed a note, reminder. For us we fill out paper work as far as doctors information at school for EMERGENCY PURPOSES only.. SO i would contact the nurse, principle and the district office and get a clarification from them on what a EMERGENCY purpose is classified as and find out why they feel that calling or sending in a note about vaccinations to the pedi is an ok reason for an emergency. The nurse did her job by telling you, then reminding.> BUT there is where is should have ended. She did her due diligence.. Its then up to you on what you do with that.> IF you 1 felt like no you didnt want it,. then that is up to you.. and if you had just cause ( depending on your state and rules) on if you can forgo the shots then you do that with the proper stuff.. if you just plane forgot and school started and you didnt do it. then she does her job and say NO im so sorry, He cant start.

So yes, i would be annoyed as well

12. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Hmm - I've never seen our school nurse send us something like that for any of our patients. She does send us a copy of any letters she sends out with all the kids, so that when the parents call us with questions, we at least know what they're talking about.