- advertisement -

Anna doesn't like the Omnipod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by heamwdevine, May 19, 2013.

1. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

We tried the Omnipod for a few weeks and she doesn't like it as much as the Medtronic. She likes how the Medtronic is in her pocket so when she needs to bolus it isn't a hassle. With the Omnipod, if the PDM was in the car or upstairs, etc. it was too much extra effort to always go get it.

I liked that I could bolus her from the PDM when she was feeling sick of it and at night it was nice because I didn't have to go searching under the covers for the pump to do a correction.

I have to say, she's had better numbers with the Omnipod. I don't know if it's because her Minimed is old(sounds a little gritty when it rewinds) or just the way the Omnipod delivers and it's closer to her body.

So, I need to send all my emails and get on the phone again to cancel the Omnipod and get going with our upgrade with Medtronic.

I think the Animas has the bolus from the blood sugar checker capability, doesn't it? The though of going through all that again with another company is daunting to me.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, Animas has the remote with the One touch meter that you can use to do boluses . You can also bolus directly on the pump

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Seems like she could just keep the PDM in her pocket. Just a thought, if that is the only issue.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think the PING miight be a good choice for you then, you can either use the remote of do "everything from the pump. The remote is a meter remote much like the PDM of the pod except you can not change things on the meter/remote like the PDM, you have to do that on the pump itself.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I was thinking the same thing.....

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think the PDM is BIG. Do kids really carry it in their pockets? Frankly, that's the reason I don't think we'd probably ever Pod full-time. Jack would find it a pain to go get the PDM every time he wanted to bolus.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

The PDM is way too big to keep in a pocket. If one wants to use the meter then there's way more than just the PDM to keep on hand.

However, we are using the Verio IQ as our primary meter and entering the BG as needed and they all fit together, the PDM, Verio, Test Strips, Multiclix, batteries, extra Multiclix barrels and tissue.

Personally, I think expecting to keep one's entire diabetes necessities in a pocket is unrealistic. (not directed at the quoted poster) The CGM receiver is in his pocket and everything else, above kit, juice boxes, tablets, glucagon and room for more is stored in a shoulder pack which goes with him from class to class.

http://www.target.com/p/swissgear-vertical-travel-bag-black-grey/-/A-11149392#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

We get the same complaints about, well, everything, and when we show the tubing to a different pump our son says "NO WAY". So ... seriously, is it a pain to go upstairs to get the whatever? Yes. Is it a pain to have to unzip a pouch? Yes. Is it a pain to have to test on one device and enter it into another? Yes.

First world problems IMO ... but it's their choice and I try to let him make the choices but I draw the line at safety and then I become the uber paranoid parent that doesn't let him watch the blah, blah, blah, blah ....

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

Well, we don't carry it in a pocket, we carry it in an insulated lunch bag that acts as her care kit, similar to swellman. It contains everything we might need including an extra pod, multiclix, insulin, calorie king book, strips, etc etc. It goes where she goes. But the PDM alone could fit in a pocket, depending n the pocket. It is about the same size as a cell phone...depending on the cell phone...;):D

Hailey's kit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096Z8MKU/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

Yeah, I'm tryng to let her decide which one she likes and she likes things about both. Last night when I said, "so you want to stick with the Minimed" she said "no, i want to switch back and forth to both". LOL

There are definately good and bad things to each one. I was thinking as a teenage girl it might be nice to not have the tubing and the POD is kind of like a IPhone, but ???

I was also wondering about all the insulin with the POD. We filled it up the other night and then the canula didn't go in, so ALL that insulin got wasted. I'm thinking you'd need a pretty big script for the POD in case of things like that???

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, the Ping has the remote for bolusing only. You cannot decrease/increase basals (so at night I still have to dig pump out), and it only has a 200u cartridge (and with that it only goes to about 187).

11. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

That's why we decided firmly against the pod. It was THE clincher for us. Too much chance of forgetting it at home, and we make many regular trips upstate that are 3 hours round trip. You forget the remote on that kind of a trip and it's a big thing.

Not being able to change without a remote was the main thing that made us say "Not even going there". No need for us to try it, it simply doesn't fit our lifestyle. Pure and simple.

You have to know and understand your family. If your child won't carry it around, then that's the end of it. You have to live the way you live. Not every solution fits every family, and I know for an absolute fact that a remote-only pump is not for us.

It would be the same thing for us, "I don't feel like it, so I just won't bother." Kira would rather play sometimes than eat. Other times she'll beg nonstop for food, lol. But in those times she doesn't want to be bothered, it'll be enough annoyance just dealing with doing it with the pump itself. Last thing I need is to find the remote in the middle of a "I don't want to eat, I just want to go back outside" fight.

12. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

So you're saying you'll probably switch over to the pods?

13. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

Whoa, you're a mind reader! Take that on tour, The Amazing David: Mind Reader Extraordinaire! :D

14. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Glad you took that in good humor. :D

15. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

In that instance, I take the insulin back out of the pod. And we actually did get our script written to cover lost insulin.

16. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We've used both the pod and the ping. Thing we miss about the pod tubless,
    ability to change settings with remote and not having to dial up dose. Things we love about the ping, if we forget the remote at home he can still bolus, ability to use different cannulas, virtually no wasted insulin. Oh and have only had one bad site in almost six months on omnipod we constantly had bad sites and pod failures.

17. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Well, if you can afford to support both pumps, I don't see why she cant' have options. I like having options. But I get it...most people can't afford both. (Not to mention the nightmare insurance might be.)

That's the problem with switching...you miss stuff about the old system. lol For us, we've only had one pump so we don't know any different. :)

It may just be a matter of time for her to get used to the new way of doing things. Most people are resistant to change, but once they're used to it they'd never go back.

Good luck.

18. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

That was my first thought.

We have only ever used the Omnipod, almost a year now. Molly has a bag she takes everywhere with her, it has all of her pod stuff as well as glucagon, insulin, extra pod, things to treat lows etc.

At school DD hangs the bag in her cubby and takes the pouch that came with her PDM into her room and puts it in her desk. It has her PDM, poker and test strips. It is right there when ever she needs it. That is also the part that is out on the table at home to use when needed. She has never lost it, and believe me, that kid would lose her limbs if they weren't attached. I just don't see it as being any more difficult to keep up with than it was to keep up with where we put our insulin, syringes and testing supplies before she was pumping and we aren't the most organized people ever.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  19. sooz

sooz Approved members

We are the same way. We have never forgotten to take her kit with us or lost her PDM. It is her life line! I wear glasses because my eyesight is the pits. I have never lost them because I know I would be helpless without them. I am careful to note where they are when I take them off for bed. It is great that we all have options because we are all so diferent with different needs and priorities. For us, forgetting the PDM would be as unthinkable as forgetting our child.

20. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

I guess I'm just a bad mom, lol. I've uh... I've forgotten the child, too. Not more than a few seconds, but yeah.

Oh my gosh, I left the car set on the counter instead of putting it back into the stroller! *has instant heart attack*.

I forgot her kit at the dojang. It isn't like we don't have plenty of extra at home, we do... so perhaps that's why it's not quite as compulsive for me, who knows.

But yeah... I've also lost my glasses before. Only reason I always find them before I go anywhere is because I'm legally blind without them. If I could see without them well enough to not run into things, I guarantee I'd forget those, too.

Like I said, you just have to know the truth about yourself and not flinch from it when making choices like these. Some folks would never forget, but if I were to lie to myself about the reality that I've left her kit at the dojang and had to go back, etc... then I think it just injures everyone that much more.