- advertisement -

Animas vs Minimed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by annej, Mar 16, 2011.

1. annej

annej New Member

My 8 yo has been on an Animas pump for about 4 years. My husband was talking to an acquaintance and it has made me curious about the MiniMed with CGM.

Our school is great to work with, but we are still having lots of problems managing the varying activities that are built into a school day and not always in the weekly plan. You know how it goes!

I have liked the idea of a CGM and talked to the dr about last year, but he doesn't like the idea of putting her on it because he doesn't want the school to rely on that instead of checking her every 2 hours (I actually do the checking for 1st recess and handle lunch myself too). And he seems set on the Animas - but it looks like the MiniMed has added the features that the Animas had when she started - the ability to give small boluses.

Anyone switched from Animas to MiniMed? What do you think?
    Thank you!

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

We switched last summer. She likes it.seems to be less button pushing.doesn't wear the cgms, it sits in drawer, says it hurts to o much on insertion

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

MM hands down for us because of the intergrated cgms. Our school LOVES the cgms, they DO NOT use to it replace finger pokes, but rather use it to get an idea of where she's going, extra times to check, to head off a low. They absolutely hate it when she doesn't wear the cgms (which is rarely).

A lot more insurance companies are now covering cgms as well.

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I think we will switch to MM when it's time for a new pump. I like the remote on the Ping but I like the idea of an integrated CGM more. =)

5. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

My daughter chose her pump and really loves it, she has the animas ping, but I would like her to switch next year to medtronic because I want her to have the cgm and the 300u reservoir

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

That is a ridiculous excuse to give not to put a child on a cgms - that the school would use it to bolus rather than a finger stick. The school will do whatever the doctor writes in the orders - which is always to do a finger stick if the child seems high or low or before eating. The cgms is mostly worn to catch problems.

Of course if YOU bolus off the cgms - that is what the doctor can't stop.

Animas is integrating with Dexcom - what date that will actually put a product you can buy is not known but perhaps not until next year.

Both Dex and MM are working on their next generation of sensors to make the cgms less painful/more accurate and easier to wear. The new MM sensor really looks interesting to me - that could come out later this year - but who knows?

MM will let you trial their cgms. I think you can arrange something with Dex too - but you may have to pay for it. If I had to buy a system right now I don't know what I'd get. I am not fond of the current MM sensor - I'd definitely chose the current Dex over it. However the new MM sensor is very appealing to me. It would be difficult to choose because we really haven't been able to see either of the new products being developed and how long it will take them to get it to market.

7. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Really, there are two decisions. Animas v. Minimed and CGM or not. The Minimed has CGM incorporated into the pump so you don't have to carry a separate receiver. That may or may not be an advantage depending on how one wears the pump. A stand alone CGM let's you check without having to fish your pump out of your clothes. Particularly if you are used to the remote on the Ping, that might be an issue. If you otherwise like Animas, you don't have to change to get CGM.
    I get the impression that most endos get an earful from their patients who are having problems with the CGM and don't yet have a lot of practical experience themselves. A more realistic view comes from looking over the threads in the CWD Continuous Glucose Monitoring section. You still see the good and bad, but you would have to pry it out of the cold dead fingers of most of the parents who post regularly.
    BTw, we always use numbing cream for insertion.

8. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We never had the ping, but just got the cgm for our medtronic last week (just for kylie right now since she has the most trouble with undetected lows.). I LOVE it! And if you get the Revel (we have the older version) not only does it alarm when there is a low, it alarms if they predict a low! That is great because the cgm has still missed some lows when she went down too fast. Just wanted to share my 2 cents. :)

9. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We started on the MM and love the CGM. As others have said you still need test regularly, but not every two hours. We currently only test once at school, before lunch. Our base testing is before each meal and at bed time. We will test at other times if necessary, but generally we can rely on the CGM.

It takes a while to master and can be frustrating, but once you get the techniques down it's great. I really miss it at the times he doesn't have it on (like when he accidentally pulls it out).

The beauty of it is that with the graph you can see if it's trending up or down at a given time. Without it, you might test before Gym and see that the child has a good number, but what you don't see is that the number may be dropping rapidly.

The abititly to review the data on the computer is also very valuable for spotting trends and making adjustments.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I could not live without the Ping remote for a little girls and ballet/jaz outfits, irish step dancing outfits.

I also could not live without the CGM, we dexcom and I can have it in the front seat with me and the remote and bolus on the go.

I can have the dexcom with we in the bleachers for baskcketball and cheerleading.

Class party, have the dexom and remote and bolus her as I mentally carb count, no pulling the pump out infront of everyone.

Dexcom and Animas are supposed to intergrate but it will not be with the Ping/remote, so I will wait till there is a remote and CGM combo before I give them up.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have the MM integrated CGM and we also have a stand-alone unit that I can carry with me. The CGM transmitter transmits to both at the same time. It's nice because he doesn't have to carry an extra unit at school, but when I'm with him, I can get CGM readings without having to bother him.

A remote would be nice, but if that's what you want, I would personally choose the Omnipod. It has a full-featured remote - you do everything from it. With the Ping remote, you can only bolus.

I don't know if you've ever played with a MM pump, but it's noticably quicker to bolus with the MM. There are fewer steps, and you don't have to dial up the dose at the end.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

300u cartridge. That pretty much sealed the deal for us in favor of MM.