- advertisement -

Animas Vibe Experiences?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dad_in_Canada, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

I guess I'll have to reach out to the "global" D community on this one. We need to make our 1st pump choice within 2 weeks for our 9 year old DS, and are considering the Animas Vibe for the integrated Dexcom receiver, just because it's less things to cart around. We've been using a Dexcom stand-alone receiver for 5 months and really like it: easy to use, accuracy is good and alarm volume is pretty good.

So, I'm wondering if anyone can share their Vibe experience. Anything you particularly like or don't like about the Vibe? How would you compare the CGM function relative to a stand-alone Dexcom receiver?

I think all the pumps available are good, so its the few specific features between them that seem to differentiate.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. jacks101

jacks101 Approved members

We decided against the Vibe for our 8 year old daughter and went with the Ping and Dexcom instead. I wanted to be able to have the receiver in my bedroom overnight and hold it on the sidelines at swimming and soccer to monitor her. You don't have that option with the Vibe since there's no receiver, and I particularly didn't trust that the alarms would wake her up at night, nor that I would hear them from another room. Just something to consider.

3. Dad_in_Canada

Apparently you can use *both* the integrated Dexcom receiver in the pump and the stand-alone receiver at the same time (which makes sense, the Dexcom transmitter is simply transmitting to both receivers). So, you should be able to use the stand-alone Dexcom receiver at night in your bedroom like you wanted to.

4. shannong

shannong Approved members

We have the stand alone unit because Animas has not offered their update program yet (apparently it is in the works). I am also considering going with the Vibe because it is one less thing for my son to have to carry around. Also we sometimes forget to have him carry the receiver, like if he is going to play outside or even go to play in the basement. I like the idea of not having to remember to tell him to carry it. I also I think that the pump would be a little more sturdy. I find the receiver always has to been in a case or it can get damaged. I spoke with Animas and you can use a receiver and the Vibe, but you do have to calibrate both. I'm a little worried about that because if you don't have them both on you at the same time to do a calibration, I would expect you could get some very different numbers. Ideally, I would like both the stand alone and the Vibe if they in fact provide the same readings. I find when I am with my son, I hold the receiver and he gets to take a break from needing to know where his numbers are at.

5. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We just switched from the Veo to the Vibe at the beginning of the month. We are using the integrated Dexcom and the standalone receiver. From a pump standpoint, it's close but I'd say we both prefer the Veo pump (larger reservoir and not so much button pushing) but all the other features are pretty much the same. I do like that we can set the insulin duration in 30 minute increments - for Apidra we have it set to 2.5 hours - on the Veo we could only set it to 2 or 3 hours and neither worked well for us. I haven't downloaded the pump information yet so I cannot compare the Medtronic reports with Diasend but I'm going to try and do that later today.

The game changer for us comes with the Dexcom which you are already familiar with - I love it. The accuracy is incredible and we get a signal all over our house so I can be two floors away and it still reads! I've stopped setting alarms at night and just let the Dexcom wake me. I've had more uninterrupted sleep in the last three weeks than I've had in four years. As long as you remember to calibrate the pump and the receiver at the same time they usually show the same numbers (might be off by .2 or .3 sometimes but nothing that would change your decision making based on the numbers). I just leave the Dex on a credenza on our main floor and it picks up the signal again within minutes of him being back in the house.

It was a tough decision moving from Medtronic - the cartridge size of the Vibe was almost a deal breaker (by the time we've primed out the air bubbles there is usually only 160 units left - I will get better at that). Your 9 year old won't need a lot of insulin now - Oscar was nine when we bought our pump and started on 7 units of insulin a day. He is almost 14 now and can use anywhere between 80 and 140 units a day. We get around this by just filling multiple cartridges and always having a spare in his test kit but I know cartridge size is worth considering when choosing a pump for a soon to be teen.

Good luck!

6. Dad_in_Canada

Now *that's* something I can't get from reading manuals, so I'd love your feedback on that when you do it. I've seen screen shots of the Medtronic software showing CGM readings, basal & bolus info on 1 display. I can see how that would be awesome for figuring out dosing. I've read that insulin info & CGM data in Diasend are on different tabs (ie. not on the same screen), but this was from users using a Ping+Dexcom separate receiver. If the Vibe means all data on 1 screen, that would be very good.

7. dianas

dianas Approved members

In Diasend you can view everything downloaded from one screen including the cgms data. I used to do this all the time before they blocked it for US users. If you go to the comparison tab view switch to the day by day view vs log book view. Also if you click on generate PDF from within the various computer window you can generate different views of the data that may be more useful to you also. There's actually a ton of data available to you from Diasend. It takes time to figure out what's useful to you.

On the Diasend website http://www.diasend.com click on support and you can see examples of all the reports or download a guide for the reports.

8. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

We are looking into the Animas pump, I believe their projected date for the integrated one is July for the US...so right now the one you have has he CGM sensor reading to the pump that your son wears not the remote portion, correct? Does the new pump still have the remote? And you are also still using the dexcom receiver, but you don't have him take that with him when he goes to school and it has no problems being out of range for that long? Do you turn off out of range alarms?

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

The Vibe will not/does not have a remote.

I assume they have to calibrate both the pump and the standalone. We use multiple receivers all the time, and without too much issue. You can "shut down" a reciever when you know it will be out of range and turn it back on when home without a 2hour warmup.

10. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

As mmgirls correctly stated, there is no remote with the Vibe - which suits us fine as he would just lose it. If I am at home during the day then I will just shut the receiver down otherwise I leave it alarm. No problems so far.

Note to self - remember to suspend the pump before using the Diasend Uploader - that way you won't waste an hour trying to get the pump to communicate with it!! Duh! I still cannot fairly comment on the Diasend reports. I think it's going to take a bit to get used to them and get the most out of them (I'm sure the Carelink reports appeared as confusing when I first looked at those). Thanks to Dianas for the tip - very helpful. It took me a while to find the equivalent of the Carelink "Sensor Daily Overlay" (graph of the CGM data by day for the last week) which I always found the most helpful for making trends jump out - it was under the CGM tab, then click on the Box Plot Modal link - as long as I have that I'm happy.

11. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Haven't read responses so sorry if this was said...

One of the reps showed me that she wears the vibe, and carted around the stand alone to see what would happen! The stand alone works with the same sensor that the vibe is! She has pictures of them both reading the same thing at the same time! So, it may nto have to be an either or. If you need to know his sugar, ie. at nightime, you may be able to use the stand alone still!

12. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have a Vibe and we are getting Dexcom on the 28th April. I'm getting the receiver too because my daughter (12) doesn't want me to be fussing looking at her pump all the time when shes home, but she doesn't want to carry the extra receiver when shes at school. To me its the best of both worlds and I'm just hoping she will actually see the benefit in wearing a sensor or I'll have a battle on my hands getting her to even have it.

13. Dad_in_Canada

Jacky, a quick question for you: in your opinion, how loud are the CGM alarms on the Vibe, as compared to the stand-alone Dexcom? We find the stand-alone Dexcom alarms plenty loud (especially "Attentive"). We've heard the alarms on the Veo, and other than the LGS alarm, they seem to be too low to be useful.

14. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

The alarms on the Vibe are as pitiful as they are on the Veo. I don't hear them until I lift his covers. The Dex receiver alarms are about 10 times louder.

15. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I wonder if clearing the alarm on the stand alone clears it on the pump as well. -and vice versa. Does anyone know?

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

No. They are completely separate, functionally.

17. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Ah okay. Thanks.