- advertisement -

Animas Vibe CGM vs Dex Receiver- Numbers/trends never agree

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by forHisglory, Feb 12, 2016.

1. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

We've been using the Vibe since last August and something interesting we've noticed is that even with the G4 integrated, the two devices never have the same number or trend values. Usually, the Dex receiver itself is more accurate and close to the fingerstick, but sometimes the Vibe device is closer. Last night, the Dex said he was 80 steady. But, the Vibe started beeping at us for a low alert about 10 minutes before that. Fingerstick revealed a 59! If it hadn't been for the Vibe, we wouldn't have caught the low. I asked a rep about this recently, and he couldn't give me an explanation except maybe get a new pump sent out. But, this is our second pump and I don't think that will solve it.

We calibrate each device at the same time each day and they both read off the same transmitter. So, why the huge difference in values? Anybody else notice this? We don't trust the Vibe CGM component as a result and therefore, this renders it useless except last night when it actually beat Dex at alerting us to a low.

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Pretty sure that the vibe doesn't use the 505 algorithm... that could explain the differences.

3. forHisglory

I was wondering about that...so the pediatric G4 is a different algorithm than the Vibe? We got it before the Vibe was approved for children so it must be based on the adult one? I'm not a tech person at all. ;)

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

A pediatric G4 receiver has the same algorithm as the Vibe so its not that. Do you start them on the same day? are you calibrating the Vibe more often by saying "Yes" after the bolus?

Did you have the Ping before? is the Vibe faster to bolus from?

5. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

We've been using both the Vibe and stand-alone Dex receiver for the past 1.75 years, and haven't often noticed a big difference in readings between the devices. We're careful to start/stop & calibrate both at the same time, and not to calibrate one without the other.

The Dex receiver stays at home on school days, and after DS walks in the door after 6-7 hours, the Dex receiver picks him up and it's close (most time exact) to the Vibe.

Occasionally though, we see differences of 1-2 mmol/L, but after a couple calibrations they are in-line again. As well, there can sometimes be 5-10mins time difference between when one or the other alarms (which is actually a PITA at 2:00am and we're trying to get back to sleep after correcting a high :().

If I can help by checking something out on our system for you I'd be happy to do it.

6. forHisglory

We do everything the same for both. Start/stop same time (my son does the vibe while I do the Dex). They both stay with him all day as we homeschool. We only say "yes" to a calibration on a high correction bolus, but those are few and far between unless at breakfast or dinner when we add it to our mealtime bolus. And then we are calibrating the Dex too. We have only ever has the Vibe (first one died at only 6 weeks) so I can't comment on the bolus speed.

7. forHisglory

Your two devices sound much more in sync. That's what I was hoping for ours! Maybe I do need to give Animas a call about troubleshooting. I'm so tired of waiting and talking with diabetes related customer service issues (add insurance calls to it and I think we are all burnt out!) If you know of something I'm missing to help ours match, I'm all ears. It would be nice to ditch the receiver sometimes.

8. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

I'd start with Dexcom. I find their trouble-shooting help on the CGM side to be a bit better than Animas (this may be because CGM is still somewhat new for Animas). Explain the situation, see what they say.

Also try to get Dexcom to make 100% sure that your receiver has the same algorithm as the Vibe.

When you start a new session, do you make sure both the Vibe & receiver are always in range (ie. close to the transmitter) for the 2 hours before the double-calibrate? We always do...DS keeps both the Vibe + receiver in his Spi-belt for the 2 hours.

When we call Animas or Dexcom technical support during evening hours, we don't find the wait to be bad...just a few minutes tops.