- advertisement -

Animas users, what infusion set?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Eric's mom, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

What infusion set do you use? And do you use different ones for different areas of the body?

It looks like there are 3 types: inset 6mm and 9mm and inset 30 13mm.

We use the inset 30 on the bum area, but need to move to a new body area. My son is lean so would the 6mm inset be better for the tummy and arm? We tried the arm with the inset 30 and it hurt too much.

2. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

My son is just 2 years old, we use contact-detach (it's a steel needle set) and been using it for more that a year. It's 6 mm needle and 23 in tubing, works very well in out skinny child. We've done arms, upper buttocks and thighs. Maybe you would need longer tubing if you do arms.

3. chammond

chammond Approved members

Logan is 2 1/2 and we use contact detach also

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son is a thin 16 year old. We have used the insets for 4 years. He went from 5'8" and 115 pounds to 6'3.5" and 155 lbs during the time. He uses the 6mm canula and until recently, used his stomach exclusively.

He tried the 9 mm and hit a blood vessel that bleed profusely.

I received some Inset 30 sites, but he wouldn't use them.

5. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

We use the Insets in the belly

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use the regular insets 6mm. Abby is lean, no problem using these on different parts of the body.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Mine are are too skinny for tummy. We use 6mm Insets in upper tush area.

8. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My son is an athletic, skinny 14 year old. We've used the inset30s since he started and have had good luck with them. (Although, we can't do tummy sites -- very little fat there for him.)

9. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

We use the 6mm on his tummy and the 9mm on his back. Lots of bad site changes lately so we are thinking of switching to steel b

10. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I hate 43" tubing, so I do 23" 6mm insets for tummy and upper thigh sites (where I don't need much reach from site to pocket) and I use the 31" 6mm contact detach sets for arm and love-handle sites where I need a little more reach from site to pocket... although I'm thinking this next order, I may do 23" and 31" 6mm Contact detach sites only... no insets... or maybe just 1 box of insets and the rest contact detach sets...

11. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

We use Comfort Shorts and/or Inset 30's. She is very skinny. No problems on Upper tush or upper leg. She has never had a tummy site.

12. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Insets (straight) all around the waist, front and back. We don't have issues with bad sites or sets falling out.

13. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

We use the Rapid D which is pretty similar to the Contact Detach, but doesn't have the detached site. You can still disconnect, though, leaving a short pigtail at the site end. You're supposed to tape down the pigtail per the instructions but I never have. Jacob does accidentally pull sites off once in awhile. You would be less likely to do that with the Contact Detach. The downside is that there is another site attached to their body. Jacob would prefer to not have anything else stuck to his body.

It's six of one and a half dozen of the other. They both have their advantages.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  14. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

My son is 4 and just started with the Ping. We are using the Contact Detach on his belly - that's his favorite spot. We'll need to begin rotating soon to some other areas.

15. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We used the insets intially, loved them, but my daughter has an allergy to the teflon so we also switched to contact-detach. We have been very happy with them overall. She can only do arms and upper buttocks right now, she has no body fat and any other area doesn't absorb the insulin for her (inserts into muscle).