- advertisement -

Animas Rep coming tomorrow

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Danielle2008, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

As a few of you know, I have been having some pump issues with the Omnipod for the last month. I have had 7 PDM and Pod Alarms. The most recent alarm was yesterday evening, and it went off driving home from work:rolleyes:. I had just put that Pod on just yesterday morning too. So it was a complete waste. The guy I spoke with just told me that the alarm I had was 'rare'(it was a different Ref # then all the static alarms I have gotten), but never gave a real great answer on why it alarmed. Just that it is a 'safety feature for me.' I think they are a little 'too safe' then;) .

I do still like many aspects of the system...but it seems to be clashing with me lately, and it is quite frustrating. It has gone off at work, 20 minutes before I need to be at work, while I am sleeping, driving in the car, walking into the house etc. etc. Most have been static alarms, so I now travel with the PDM wrapped in a dryer sheet. I don't mind resetting the PDM, but then I lose communication to the Pod, and can't bolus from it. So I lose the Pod, and the insulin(I have wasted a whole lot of insulin this last month).

My parents and I talked it over, and they agree I should at least look at the other pumps. Especially now that I have insurance, and we already know they will help towards one.

The Animas Rep is coming tomorrow morning at 11, and MM's Rep is coming Friday at 10:30 . I hope to talk with Cozmo next week(they haven't called back yet). I see my Endo on Tuesday next week, and hope to discuss it with him as well.

My top two is the Ping and the MM. My only really issue with the Cozmo is its design(the shape), but I know it is still a great pump so I want to look at it too. I really like the idea of the Ping, but I have heard of some issues with the remote. Obviously MM has been around, and a lot of the people at my D center have wanted me to go with MM since I started looking end of last year. I don't like that you have to use their infusion sets, though. I hope by having the Reps sitting in front of me, and talking one on one, I can really get a good opportunity to look at the systems(with the pump class I went to last year there were too many people to really talk to each Rep personally).

I am not 100% switching, but there is definitely a chance I will.

I guess the search begins, again!

2. dana.amp

dana.amp Approved members

I would reccommend the animas ping. i have been pumping with it for 3 weeks and I love it.

3. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

I wish I could switch pumps with you! :p
    I wanted a Omnipod SO bad, but I had to get a MM anyways! :(

4. Danielle2008

Thanks for the recomendation! Definitely looking forward to talking with the Ping Rep tomorrow:cwds:

I have been reading more about the Cozmo, and it is actually really growing on me. I like the features it has, and I also like the blood glucose meter that is on the back(just one less thing to worry about). Can't wait until they call and I set up a time!!

I'm sorry you weren't able to get the pump you wanted:(. Is there any chance in the future you could switch?

Honestly, I really liked the Omnipod in the beginning(old posts are proof of that), but these constant alarms for stupid things(like static) are really getting annoying. I know all pumps have their pros and negatives, and none are 'perfect', but I find the recent 'alarm history' ridiculous. I also find it un-nerving how unreliable it has been the last few weeks. It is not a bad pump at all(and I do not mean to come across speaking negatively about it, when it is working...it is a fantastic system). Honestly, I had no issues like this after the initial pump start, not until end of December. I had a beautiful pump start in fact, with great numbers, and no failed Pods....I don't know what is with my luck the last month or so:rolleyes:

I am looking forward to at least checking out the others, and seeing how I feel about them.

5. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

That's great! I am PMing you.

6. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

You don't have to use MM sets. There is a reservoir called the ThinSet, and it converts MM pumps to luer lock so you can use any infusion sets you like.

7. Danielle2008

That is great to know, thanks for the information!!

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Well, I love my MM, a lot. I would probably prefer the animas tbh mostly 'cause I feel like I'd be able to read the screen better - yeah, I have crappy eyesight and also for the smaller basal increments and because I think it's pretty :D but that wasn't available where I am. Positives about the MM, are I've only ever had like 3 "NO DELIVERY" alarms, and the only others I've had are low reservoir and low battery which you'll get with all pumps, I guess. Good luck with finding a new one, sorry things didn't work out with the omnipod.

9. Danielle2008

Thanks Emma, that is all great information on the MM. The MM Rep is coming tomorrow at 10:30, and he has Diabetes as well....I think I met him at the BDC a few months back...so I am looking forward to talking with him again!

The Animas Rep just left, a really nice guy(Zach). We looked at the Ping(he brought the pink one LOL), and two different infusion sets(the Inset and the Inset 30). I really like the remote it comes with. As you can put your pump in places(like on your lower leg, or in your bra), and still bolus without pulling it out.

I am definitely leaning towards Animas right now. Looking forward to MM and Cozmo though!!:)

10. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

Good luck, Danielle. I know you'll like whichever pump you choose.

11. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Sounds like your doing all the right research in order to make the best choice possible. I'm sure that whatever choice you make, it will be the right one.:cwds:

12. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Good luck Danielle, you really are weighing in ALL the options! I hope you find something good that works for YOU.

13. Danielle2008

Thank you, I definitely am taking a good look at them this time around. As this next pump will 'be around' for a few years;)

Thanks Emily! I hope my next choice fits my needs better, too!

The MM rep was here for almost 3 hours this morning:eek:. It was the same guy I met back at BDC a few months ago. He has had D for 37 years(since he was 6), and has been pumping with MM for the last 9-10 years. His Endo is actually my study doctor at the BDC so we did talk a little about the test studies too. We talked a bit about technology and better managing tools.

He also said that they have been using the MM CGM for that 'close loop' type system, and apparently....with the studies they have been doing, without people doing anything(just letting the pump do the work as well as the CGM) they have been getting an average BG of 137. He said in another test study, the patient puts in a 'rough estimate' of the amount of carbs they are going to eat, and these test patients are getting an average of 126 for their BG. He said the 'artificial pancreas' is definitely coming.

Also, has anyone heard of the Medtronic's M-Powered car? It has a built in glucose monitor that reads from your CGM, and it will tell you while driving your BG and if you are going low or high. He gave me a paper from the St. Paul Pioneer Press about it, real neat.

Anyway, on to the pump! We talked a lot about it, he had me go through a few 'fake boluses', as well as what happens when your high etc.

My parents really like the integrated CGM(like I am sure most parents do), and want to look more into that(I told them it is tough to get approval through insurance for one). However, they feel it may just be 'worth it' to just buy it, and do the upkeep if insurance were to say no. The Rep had the CGM, and he loved it. In fact, while he was talking he checked his pump to see his BG because he felt he was going down, and sure enough, he was 85 and trending down. He didn't treat it then, as he wanted me to see what happens when your BG hits 80(as he has his 'low alarm' set at 80). When he finally hit 80, it vibrated 4 times I believe....and then he treated.

I probably am not going to have the Cozmo rep come out at this point.

I am now on the fence between Animas and MM.

I love the remote the Ping comes with, and I do like the 'look' of it a bit better then the MM.

However, I liked MM's screen, the ability to use the CGM, and how pretty straight forward it was.

I am leaning towards the MM, but I am going to go through the packets a little more...as I still really like the Animas ping.

Choices, choices...:rolleyes:;):)