- advertisement -

Animas Pump Cartridge Recall

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HBMom, Feb 22, 2011.

1. dianas

dianas Approved members

If it's any consolation I know how frustrating this is to not be informed of recalls in a timely manner. I went through the same thing when Minimed had their big Lot 8 Quickset recall. It took them several days to figure out how they wanted to handle the recalls for those who get their supplies from distributors. It was frustrating at the time but did eventually all get sorted out.

I wanted to add my thanks also for posting about the recall. I hadn't heard about it yet either.

2. O's Mom

O's Mom New Member

Animas cartridge Recall

It was 3am and I was sitting up waiting to test my daughters blood sugar again because for NO APPARENT REASON, her blood sugars have been skyrocketing. I had changed her sites 3 times, she was spilling ketones (for the first time in her life) and I was beginning to give her SQ injections as a last resort....and I was dreading the pending hospital visit if things didnt turn around. I decided to go to CWD site to see what other parents had to say about managing T1d and there was you post!!! The recall notice that I did NOT receive. Olivia has those cartridges, and I just opened that box a few days ago, and a few days ago I noticed her sugars becoming elevated and I was perplexed.... of course, that is a common, almost daily feeling of a diabeetic parent (I am beginning to realize). THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING!!! You just saved a child from a hospital visit. The injections are bringing her sugars down, and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for being so considerate and posting that memo. Next step is to add some lantus and then call the "supplier" ... the one who my insurance insists I use,and probably yell a little! Animas would have no way of knowing that we had the sets, because of the middle man problem.. Again, thank you.......Janet---- a very angry but relieved mom of a beautiful brave diabetic daughter....

OTHER PARENTS WHO HAVE TO USE 'SUPPLIERS' INSTEAD OF DIRECT FROM ANIMAS ...... CHECK YOUR CARTRIDGES and thank HB MOM for posting :eek:)

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

So did Animas only send the notice out to people who bought supplies directly from them and they have a record that you have some of the affected boxes or did they send it out to all their pump users?

Seems like they should have sent it to all their pump users due to the 3rd party supplier issue - rather than waiting on the supplier to contact the patients.

4. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

We get our supplies from Liberty and I just called them b/c we have 4 boxes of recalled cartridges. They had no knowledge of a recall and told me to call Animas. So glad to get this info from FB and CWD ~ you guys are the best :)

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Thank you for posting this!!! Although we do not have any of the recalled lot, I will be curious if we receive a letter from our supplier (we do not use Animas).

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We buy straight from Animas.
    No notice so far to us.
    We do have the bad lot numbers. Haven't used those boxes yet. I think.

7. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Oh my gosh - you just brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy that I was able to help! Hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

The email went to dh's email addr - it is what they have on hand at animas - but the email said that they sent the info to us because they showed we had purchased some of the effected cartridges. I guess we are just "lucky" that we bought them from animas?? Also, the email addr they have is an old one of my dh's and he doesn't always get the forwarded emails, so I am going to call and make sure they have my email address for future notifications.

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Edgepark Med Supplies, our distributor, had no knowledge of it either. I tried to speak with someone at Animas about their lack of informing their distributors...and I was on hold for way too long...eventually gave up! I'll keep trying to call. We all need to know this stuff!

9. selketine

What is odd to me is I cannot find ANYTHING on the Animas website about this recall. I trust it is true because some of you here have called Animas but anyone can make an "official" looking email.

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

That is true, but it's got accurate lot numbers in the announcement.
    You make me wonder if they are revisiting it already, though, and we may find that the there are is a wider recall than they were originally planning?
    The "fog of war" effect?

11. suzyq63

suzyq63 Approved members

I received an email from them yesterday. All 5 boxes we received at the end of December were recalled. Thankfully, we have a pretty good back-up supply so the recall isn't a problem for us. I would be a very unhappy camper if we didn't have the back-up supply.

12. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I don't know if it really is how it appears, but it doesn't seem to me Animas is getting the word out well or fast enough.

I've called my endo's office to make sure they know, I'll email any friends I know who might know someone pumping with Animas. Anything else we can do to get the word out?

13. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Thank you for posting this. I have not received an email from Animas, however, I just checked all of our cartridges and, fortunately, none of the lot numbers on the email are on our cartridges.

14. obtainedmist

I spoke with someone in their supply department and after checking with a supervisor, they confirmed it!

15. selketine

William ran high at school yesterday and I'm sure his cartridge - which was from the recalled lots - was leaking cause I found insulin in his pump on the piston. Of course he ran high again today on a non-recalled cartridge - but not as high.

This will certainly make me second guess whether other lots are leaking....

16. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

That's the frustrating thing about this stupid disease, like the PP mentioned, we can't tell if it's "just a diabetes thing" or if there's a real problem until we get outside verification or the problem gets huge. Really frustrating.

Meanwhile, we still have no notice from Animas about the bad lots we have on our kitchen counter. The Animas Web site is still silent on the recall. And a Google News search brings in NO news results for animas pump cartridge recall. None.

I don't understand how they can be handling this in this manner. I'm hoping it will be clear soon and make sense, because this looks just awful.

17. obtainedmist

I got a call back from a supervisor in the customer service dept. at Animas. She apologized about the fact that the suppliers didn't have the information. I asked her to complain on my behalf to whoever is in charge of sending out the information on recalls. It seems they have a separate company dealing with sending out replacement cartridges. She told me that we would be receiving replacements within the week and the shipment would include a packing slip to return the recalled cartridges.

18. miffedmom

miffedmom New Member

This is extremely frustrating, we have only two backup cartridges, and I had to get them from the backup supply I had a school. It really is amazing that still no information is posted on the Animas website. Just another recall to complicate our lives as parents and more importantly the lives of our children. My daughter has been randomly running these crazy high numbers and then when she gets corrected bottoms out....
    It makes for very long days fr everyone, home, school and her...just another challenge we face a parents and children living with diabetes

19. selketine

For folks who don't have any of the non-recalled cartridges or only a few - is Animas telling you they are overnighting you some asap?

They are supposed to start shipping us replacement cartridges no later than tomorrow according to their email - so they just know now many bad boxes we have? Do we return the others or what?

20. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Still nothing on the site, and no hits on Yahoo news -- which tells me no press release to AP, etc.?

That's what we were seeing, creeping and stuck high then bottoming out, and we thought we'd solved it with a change to a new set. I'm wondering now if we changed to a new box of cartridges at the same time.

We've got a CGMS and I'm by my kid's side constantly and during "The Troubles" I was checking her every hour at night. :( What about families that don't have the luxury to do that and don't have a cgms? This sounds extremely hazardous, and if there are 50,000 people potentially affected, why is this not being addressed differently? I really don't understand. What am I missing?

Let's at least keep bumping this thread so everybody here sees. :(