- advertisement -

animas ping vs omnipod

Discussion in 'Teens' started by BobbyJackElmo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. BobbyJackElmo

BobbyJackElmo Approved members

sooo soon im supposed to be getting a new pump since i have the deltec cozmo but i dont know what one to get.
    i want to have no tubing but then again the ping seems pretty cool.
    any suggestions?

2. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I suggest you try them both first, or atleast play with them a lttle. Have an Animas rep come to your house with the pump, as well as an OmniPod rep (or just order a Demo pod that you can wear for a few days). Good luck with your decision! :)

3. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

try them both first, maybe a saline trial? or order a dummy pod, they'll send you one to try

4. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Trial both. And remember, even if you like one and then don't want to try the other, try it anyway because you might like it better. :)

5. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

give both a go. for what it's worth, i have a animas 2020 right now and even with the remote on the Ping i think i'd like the omnipod later in the year(they had a new PDM come out recently, but at the end of this year they're going to have smaller(thinner, shorter) pods, too). but i don't know the cons on the omnipod, either, so....:p

6. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I can tell you the cons on the pod ;)

7. Leah

Leah Approved members

I think you should try both of them for a while, because different pumps work for different people. I use the Omnipod.

8. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

ahh....hindsight! I've had the omnipod for about 1 1/2 months now and about the only good thing about it is that there's no tubing. dressing around it isn't an issue, but if the set is on the back and hurts car rides are horrible. if there's an occlusion there's no clearing the line, you just have to toss it. i had a problem with the battery within the last week and even though we got it fixed, it disconnected the pod, so i had to change it. the batteries come unseated really easily, and i got so freaked out from last time now i have someone else fix it 3+ feet away(the max for 'talking' between the pdm and pod is 2 feet).
    the firmware on the pdm is nowhere near as nice or polished as animas's. when we had the battery problem it turned the bolus calc. off for three hours, even after the set change. there's also a limit of four I:C ratios.

not having tubing is nice, but i'm looking into the solo as soon as it's possible for me to get my hands on one. all that being said, however, after almost 4 years on the animas(april would have been a full four) i don't think i'd go back. it's a pain in the neck, but not having to worry about where the pump is going on my body, whether or not a dress/skirt/top works with a pump belt, whether pants pockets are big enough, etc is wonderful!
    i'd say it's a good option for older kids who are fed up with tubing and realize/can deal with the trade off of more set changes and slightly harder to work firmware.

9. techman93

techman93 Approved members

personally i think that the omnipod is a waste cause it only holds 200u, but it all depends on your basal and bolus settings. your wasting so much when you throw it away too. your throwing away 3 batteries, a motherboard, and a bunch of other stuff. i use a ping right know and i hate it. the menu is set up very poorly, and i really miss my cozmo. i wish i didnt switch. if u can hold on to your cozmo as long as you can.