- advertisement -

Animas ping or Minimed?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dedle123, May 20, 2009.

1. dedle123

dedle123 Approved members

We have an almost 3 yr. old son who was diagnosed at 14 months with Type 1 diabetes. We are now thinking of putting him on a pump and are very overwhelmed with all this new terminology and info. We have narrowed it down to the ping or the minimed. Was wondering if anyone could help. We know it's mostly personal preference but a little advice from actual users would be helpful. He is little enough he can't always tell us when he's low. Also he doesn't eat the same amount at any one meal. Sometimes a lot, other times next to nothing. As a frustrated mom I'll take all the help I can get.:confused:

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

The Animas has the smallest basal rate - 0.025. You can adjust it in those increments and we sometimes need the smallest increment.

The Animas has a remote so you don't have to pull the pump out to give a bolus - its all done with the meter / remote. We love that, especially at night when we used to be pulling the pump out from underneath child and covers.

We love our Animas

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

I suspect those of us with Animas pumps will say Animas and those with MM will say MM.;)

The best argument for Animas is that it has the smallest basal rate increments. I think this is reason alone to go with Animas and that is why we chose it for William who started pumping when he was 2 years old.

The MM has the benefit of integration with a CGMS - but you can still get a cgms down the road if you want it. Many find that they prefer a different cgms anyway - so I don't think that is as much of a big deal (the integration of the MM) at this point. At least I think the basal rate increment issue is more important than the integration of pump and cgms.

The Ping has the remote too - which is very nice as you don't have to touch them - just sort of "point and click" like a remote control.

4. Andrelaplume

Andrelaplume Approved members

we took the minimed 2 years ago. I thought the Pod had the remote? Anyhow, my fear with a remote is that if not in proximatey of the pump, no insulin is delivered....as I recall anyway. Also, not a week goes by where my kids do not loose the tv remotes so taking a chance on loosing the pump remote out of the house where we are less likely to find it was not an option for our 8 year old...maybe a baby or very young child where we would have the resposibility...I can see that finer basal rate being a plus for a baby as well.

5. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Minimeds new pump coming out in june has a lower rate to match animas

I think it is a personal choice, i chose minimed because of integrated CGMs.

All pumps are basically the same even a big seller for Animas (waterproof) all pumps are water resistant until a crack occurs, and will be replaced by the company(Minimed Animas) for water damage.

We played with both pumps and went with Minimed good luck in your choice

Minimed also has a remote option

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'd get ahold of both pumps and push the buttons on both, and see what you like best. Really, there is no wrong answer here. If MM went under tomorrow, I'd happily have Jack on an Animas by Friday without missing a step.

7. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

I think there maybe some new stuff on the near term horizon. (1-6 months)

Animas is working with Dexcom and that and Mini Med is dropping hints about a June 2 annoucement.

Will the announcement matter? Will Animas have anything soon? - Who knows. -but the diabetes industry like to present stuff at ADA's summer conference and that is coming right up.

YDMV

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Psst, Bennet. Linky no worky.

(I found it by going to your home page, though. And am irritated. Not at you, but I thought that June 2 was going to be the new pump announcement, and it looks like it's going to be something about the mythical closed loop pump that is probably always going to be 5 years away. Humph.)

9. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

These are the reasons we chose the Animas Ping. We love the remote. It's nice at night, in the car for snacks, restaurants, etc. You don't have to use the remote, either. You can check bs with a different meter and enter the info into the pump itself.

The pump has been a godsend for our family. Charlie is a much happier boy now.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee pumps with MM.. she started pumping at the age of 3.. we thought the basal rates may be a problem since they don't go down as far as the animas, but we havent had any issues.. MM is SUPPOSE to be coming out with a new pump with those same small basal rates and Animas is suppose to have the IOB calculations that MM has.. they've shared their 'secret' information on this.. there is supposably some good info coming from MM soon (june 2?) but who knows what that'll be until that day comes.. Kaylee has the cgms (continuous glucose monitoring system) that links to her pump.. this was one of the biggest (if not the biggest) reason why we went with the MM.. we are very happy with our choice, the pump and costumer service has been excellent.. as always, with everything, they'll be customer service issues.. both companies/pumps have their benifits and down falls.. it all comes down to what features are most important to you..

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

just so its out there and people know.. MM has a remote option with the pump as well.. its not nearly as fancy as the animas because its been around for a bit.. its not a meter and a remote in one.. but they do have the remote.. MM also has a meter that 'links' with the pump so you don't have to hand enter it.. both the MM link meter and the animas 'ping' use one touch strips:)

12. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

and if you don't absolutely love it. just return it. you usually have 30 days.

13. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

That's a good point. We were told 30 days from the day we started pumping insulin. It's something to ask about.

14. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Ditto, except for the CGMS.

One of the reasons we ruled out the pod was fear of losing the PDM.

We have the MM remote, but have never used it. Does the Ping give you full control of all the pump features? Can it run whatever they call their "Bolus Wizard"?

There are pluses and minuses to the CGMS being integrated with the pump. But at the end of the day, if it were a separate "thing" for Sean to wear / carry he would want nothing to do with it.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the color screen...

15. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I don't use either, but if I had to pick, I'd go animas ping, hands down.
    What is great is they will be integrating with dexcom, which is a great CGM that I highly recommend.

Plus the one touch remote is just awesome. And for little kids that smalll basal can be useful.

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

The Ping remote has all the features of the Ping pump, with all the targets, ISFs. You can do BG correction and/or carb boluses. The only thing you can't do is temporary rates on the remote.
    Dexcom also has the smallest inserter needle and smallest transmitter. You need to compare that.

17. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I have not had a chance to read through the posts yet but here is my opinion.

Kaleb got his pump when he was 16 so we let him pick, but here is what happened. He loved the loves of the MM and thought for sure he wanted it. Until we went to pump class then he liked the Ping so he could bolus without having to take the pump out of his pocket. I called both companies and a rep come to the house. After playing around on both he ended up with the Ping and has never regretted it. I also think that since this is his first pump, he would have loved either one. This one works for him.

I think a pump is like a car, they all do the same thing it just depends on what bells and whistles you want.

18. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

I think you have done well already to narrow it down to MM and Animas. I also think that you can't go wrong. the small increments are a benefit for the basal with the Animas. At times I have desired them, but what MM has seems to work well enough. I also like the idea of using the Ping--sounds handy. We use the MM and made the choice based on the integrated CGM. We didn't want our then 5 year old to carry around two devices. It is working well for us.

19. 22jules

22jules Approved members

We went with the minimed for our then 8 year old daughter. Like you we narrowed our choices to the minimed and the animas and after pump class I totally thought we were going to go with the animas--really liked the color screen:D. But when I thought about it and remembered watching Erin holding both and putting both in her pockets it just seemed like the minimed "fit" better. The button pushing seemed easier (to me) and I liked the fact that after going through the bolus wizard all Erin would have to do is accept the dosage--in the animas you have to dial up the dose--afraid an 8 year old might screw up a decimal! After a year we added the cgm and I love to have the option of another tool that is integrated with our pump. The software for the minimed is fantastic! Really user friendly! I suggest looking at both and the great thing about your decision is either way you can't go wrong!:D

20. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

It looks like someone did point out that you do not have to use the remote, you can bolus directly from the pump. Besides the "remote" is actually the meter - with a lot of extra features -like the ability to bolus. It also has a fantastic food listing. No more carrying the book with us!

Plus the Animas has cool insets - our friends who are have the MM were really interested in Chris's Inset 30's when we showed them.

One thing our friends did say, is that whenever one pump has has something "new" - the other pump will have it with in a year.

Chris has been pumping for 8 days and counting...