- advertisement -

Animas Ordering UGH

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sincity2003, Jun 23, 2014.

1. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

On June 10th, I called Animas to order a 90 day supply. I waited on hold for 77 minutes, but got the order in. On Friday (6/20), I called to find out where they were and was told they were still waiting on authorization from Care Centrix. The lady I talked to said the authorization was sent on 6/18 and they were still waiting. I questioned her about why they waited 8 days to send an authorization and she said I mis-heard her, that it was the second request sent to them. She said they would re-send it on Friday (the 20th).

None of this sounded right to me. We placed a Dexcom order on 6/17 and it was on my doorstep on 6/19. They also had to get an authorization from Care Centrix, which they got because we get an email each time a DME charge is authorized. I had not received any such email for Animas.

I called Care Centrix on Friday and they said they did not receive the pre-authorization from Animas until 6/19 and they were working on it, as it hadn't even been a full 24 hours yet.

I called Animas back this morning and got someone different. Told him I needed to know the date the first authorization was sent to Care Centrix, and that I had the information from Care Centrix, so please be careful what date he gave me. He gave me the 19th. I asked him why it took them 9 days to send an authorization? He says, "We tell you when you order that it takes 7-10 business days to obtain authorization". I told him, "One, I was never told that and two, even if you said 7-10 business days to obtain authorization, how do you get it if it takes you 9 days to even start the process?"

He then proceeded to tell me that I need to call them at the 75 day mark, especially since I have Care Centrix. I asked him what that was supposed to mean because, again, Dexcom got an authorization and had the supplies on my doorstep in 3 business days and he said, "We can't compare our service to other providers" and I said "Obviously not, because your service right now sucks."

We have 2 pump sites left. DS starts All-Star baseball games tonight. We have a heck of a time getting more than 2 days out of a site when it's 100 degrees outside and he's playing baseball. They don't really care. Could he theoretically go back on shots? Sure, but I already know the attitude that is going to cause. I just don't understand how I'm sitting here 13 days later and all they can say is, "You should have ordered at 75 days." Um, no, my insurance covers a 90 day supply, and I did call you at 81 days.

Just venting. Sorry.

2. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

I'm sorry for your frustration, Animas customer service has been really lacking lately. I had to wait on hold with them numerous times before I even got through to order, and then call back to make sure it was being processed. We go through CareCentrix too and I find that usually if there is a problem it is with the provider and not CareCentrix.

We were waiting for approval on our new Dexcom system and the Dexcom Rep told me that they would send it in for approval right before the warranty was up. So I called Dexcom two days after the warranty was up and asked where we were on authorization they said we don't have it yet, we just sent for it yesterday. I was like Okay, whatever. They told me they usually got it quick so I figured I would just wait to hear from them. I gave them three more days and called CareCentrix to see what the hold up was. The man at CareCentrix gave me the authorization number, and the date that it had been faxed to Dexcom (which was the day after they asked for the authorization) here we were five days later and they still claimed they hadn't heard anything. It took me calling them, giving them the authorization number, and having it faxed again to finally make sure our new Dexcom was in the mail.

Kind of ridiculous with these companies, sometimes I feel like if I'm not constantly checking back and bugging them that I won't ever get anything. Dexcom usually has great customer service but I couldn't believe how the rep who was assigned to us fell down on the job on this one. Every time I called she had a different answer for me, and the person who finally took the auth number and got everything mailed was someone completely different.

I feel your pain! Diabetes is hard enough without all of this extra hassle we have to deal with.

3. cococay

cococay Approved members

A couple of things to consider if you want.

We've been able to get pump supplies from and billed directly to our cigna insurance through edgepark, and I think liberty can to, though I haven't asked them to process pump supplies yet (just adhesive products)

Right this moment I am having minimed process pump supplies. I went to them when edgepark refused to provide service only because my son has Medicaid (secondary - didn't need them to file, but they won't do supplies simply because he has it.. ) anyway... I have always tried to get 2boxes a month of sites/reservoirs and have almost always been able to. When asked how often we change sites, I say 'we change it every 1-2 days depending how well they stick, especially more often in the summer'. Minimed filled out last order in May, they did process through carecentrix. Before they shipped they tried to call me, but we were in STL with out younger son's trialnet ivgtt, and I wasn't able to talk to them, but on the msg they explained that our script is written for daily changes and that our insurance would cover 9 boxes for 3months, so let them know on our next order if we would like 9 boxes.

It's because MM has the daily script and is ready to process 9box/3months, I don't really want to rock the boat and have liberty do it, they want to send just 5, and I think they would fight us to do more than 5-6.

You might try to get the script written to cover a few more like that depending how bad the copay is or whatnot, but just something to consider that could at least help with the time delays.

Also, going through a third party (if you particular insurance works with a third party) may allow you to bypass carecentrix eliminating the need for a new authorization every 3mo. too.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have to get our supplies through mail order and it actually has worked out better than ordering direct from Animas. We first used Medco, but then because of insurance, were switched to OptumRx. We actually save $200 per 90 day supply by doing mail order. And honestly, once we place the order, for insulin it arrives in 24-48 hours and has always been ice cold even on the hottest days and pump supplies it's usually 5-7 days.
    I gave up using Animas a while back when they kept denying our insurance, even with an approval code. On top of that, they ran out of supplies. Have never had this happen in the 3 years we've been using mail order.

5. sincity2003

Thanks, everyone! Unfortunately, with our insurance and Care Centrix, the list of DME suppliers they sent to us does not include a single supplier, other than Animas, that covers his pump stuff. We use a company through DME for his test strips, but they do not have Animas supplies, we asked them.

I called back this morning because, again, no one called me yesterday to follow up like they said they would, and she informed me they got the authorization and our supplies would be here on the 26th. I told her that wasn't going to work and the person I talked to yesterday said that if they weren't going to be here today, they would be sending out a "courtesy pack" of 2 sets of sites. She said yes, I see that here. It's due for delivery on the 27th. Let's just say, I lost it. My full order can be here on the 26th, but my courtesy supplies that were supposed to be here today can't be here until the 27th? Sigh, again.

This person told me they would be overnighting his supplies today, for delivery by noon tomorrow, and that she would personally follow up on it. I don't believe her, and we are getting ourselves ready to be back on shots for a day or two at this point.

As for the amount: We take some blame in this and it's why I ordered at 80 days. When I ordered last time, we ordered some 43" tubing for his arms, but then he was crazy, busy in baseball and we didn't want to put a site on his arm (he pitches) and have the tubing pulling. I had fully intended to return the entire box, but my husband accidentally broke the seal on it, thinking it was another box of 23" tubing, so I couldn't return it. We opened one and were going to use it on his leg, but the tubing is just so long and it appeared it would get in his way, so we didn't use it. We get 6 boxes every 90 days and that's been more than enough even for our accidents/extra sweaty days, just this time one of those boxes was unusable for us :(

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we have to get pump supplies through care centrix too. Right now i'm waiting for CCS medical supplies to get approval from care centrix for Ashleigh's animas supplies.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  7. Shopgirl2091

On a side note was it hard getting Cigna to let you have 6 boxes? We are changing sites every 36 hours and it would be really nice to get 6 boxes instead of 5, I just haven't ever asked because I didn't think they would let us.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

when we were last on Cigna at the end of the year I had no problem getting 6boxes for 90 days , we just had the RX written for changing every 2 days.

9. Shopgirl2091

Thank you! Ours is written for every 2 days but I have only been ordering 5 boxes, the doctors office told me that's all they thought I could get. I'll definitely be ordering 6 next time.

10. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Way off topic but mmgirls, "pinging leopard" in your sig... does this mean you have a leopard skin on it?? If so, I need one lol

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Not a skin but leopard print duck tape, and gummy bears duck tape on my other dd. helps for middle of the night checks to know whos CGM and remote I have in my hand, afraid I am going to bolus the wrong one!

12. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ooh maybe we can get 6 boxes. For the longest time now our past insurance company only allowed 4 boxes, even though the script is written for Ashleigh to change her site every 2 days.

13. sincity2003

We have Anthem BCBS, so I can't speak for Cigna..sorry. We get 6 boxes of sites and 6 boxes of reservoirs, and it was never questioned. They've also never questioned our need for 900 test strips every 90 days. We are fortunate that we have great insurance because my husband works for the 2nd largest employer in the US and they seem to cover everything, no questions asked.

14. cococay

cococay Approved members

We have cigna, and so far have had no issue with any quantity on orders .. pump supplies and adhesives (tegaderm, skintac, remover, etc)... Our problem has been finding a supplier that can process a medical supply order for the adhesives... Right now, I've found that edgepark and liberty can file those directly under his medical benefit. CCS cannot... And edgepark was the only supplier on the dme list that cigna has sent me. I finally just called liberty and found out they do work.

We've also been getting 6 boxes of site/reservoirs without issue, and with our May order, minimed left a msg that because our script is written for daily site changes (I always say that we change every 1-2 days depending how well they stick) that we are authorized for 9 boxes every 3mo! I wasn't able to talk to them then, so they sent the 6 but told me that we can order 9 on the next order... :)

With edgepark insurance covered full boxes of 100 and 50 of 2 different styles of tegaderm each in 2 different sizes (4 boxes total) as well as mult orders to fix mistake (order 1 or 2 instead of 1 or 2 boxes of 100 ... ugh.. but they all went through.. Edgepark also almost sent us 50 BOXES of the bigger ones, and at least he pre-auth stuff went through - don't know what would have happened if I had let that order go through.. would have served them right though after they cut us off and told us that they will not bill us for anything left on the account - maybe I shouldn't have called when I saw THEIR mistake on out account... :)

15. Shopgirl2091

Wow! Nine boxes? That is great! I am hoping for six, but even more would be great. We are having to change about every 36 hours sometimes and it is ridiculous, I just hate stressing about running out, especially when they don't last very long. Thank you!