- advertisement -

Animas inset insertion question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lani, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Lani

Lani Approved members

Has anyone ever inserted the cannula part, unclipped the tubing that is attached and then attach tubing from the old insertion?

I ask because we seem to waste so much insulin. I thought that as long as there was good insulin in the cartridge and the tubing was already primed that I could just insert a new cannula, connect the tubing from old insertion, fill cannula and be good to go.

We had one of those nights last night. High levels, blouses were not working, and of course it was 2 am. My sleep deprived brain is not working at its best right now.

He is fine by the way and levels are good.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. mocha

mocha Approved members

I've done it, especially when the site change is within a day or two of the previous one. I don't make a habit of it, though.

Just remember to change the tubing on the next one.

3. Lani

Lani Approved members

Thanks. We just changed to these insertions so just wanted someone else's opinion.

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I do that all the time, especially if I'm changing because of a bad set/the set getting ripped off or something. Technically the reservoir and tubing can last 6 days (or so I was told during training) so I think its fine as long as you change it every other site change or so

5. Lani

Lani Approved members

Thanks. Good to know and helps having to load and prime each time. :)

6. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

I do it all the time. Mostly because site change day doesn't always (usually never) coincides with the day the cartridge needs replaced. That being said, I will only use the tubing for 3 days.

7. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We do that all the time too. We have to change sites on day two, but our insulin still lasts until day four so I just change out the set, and clip the other tubing back in.

I have a whole tupperware in my drawer full of extra tubing :)

When I have to insert a new reservoir if the site is still good, I just use some of my tubing stash and clip it in to the site.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

We did this with my son when he was younger. Sometimes he would run out of insulin before the three days were up on his site. He would change out the reservoir and leave the same site in.

9. Lani

Lani Approved members

Thanks everyone for the input. It completely makes sense. I don't know why I didn't think about it sooner. :/ So much wasted insulin. :)

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Did it all the time.

One reason I like the Cleo, no tubing attached or need to prime. Just remember to fill cannula.

11. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Put us in the 'do it all the time' column.

DD is sucking down a cartridge every day-and-a-half in puberty, so we often change cartridges and use tubing she's already wearing (we do a full prime to eliminate air bubbles), and there are many times that she's changing a site, but not needing to change a cartridge. We just make sure that every other time or so (either with a cartridge or site change) we're using new tubing.

I was concerned with how much insulin we were 'wasting' with tube priming and the actual left-over insulin that the pump leaves in the cartridge - about 16 units! Animas told me it's designed to stop short of completely emptying the cartridge so that the piston does not 'hit the wall' so to speak and lose calibration. So I figured in all the priming and normal 'loss' of units with the pump and let the endo know - they upped our prescription to reflect the extra need.

12. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

For those who may be concerned about reusing tubing, it is not only officially sanctioned, but a while back was recommended. The "traditional" sets (those not individually packaged with a disposible inserter) are all available in boxes with 5 "complete" sets and 5 "canula only" sets, assuming that you would reuse the tubing. They are still available this way, though not advertised as much as they used to, possibly because the combo boxes are a little cheaper.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Just did it this morning.

Animas, why oh why can't you do a 300u pump, then I wouldn't have to do this!