- advertisement -

Animas battery cap

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Does everyone change their animas battery "cap" every 6 months, as recommended?

2. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I'm probably in the minority...but I don't. I went a year and a half with our first battery and cartridge caps, just because I didn't know you had to replace them so quickly. Didn't have any problems with them...but I know problems can occur with old ones. Am already overdue to replace them again...won't wait so long this time though.:)

3. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

We replace once year before the swimming season starts.

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We did change ours at the 6 month mark. And this post reminded me that with her next order i need to get a new battery cap.

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

DD keeps her pump in a pouch so it is pretty well protected so it doesn't seem to get as much wear. I do have a back up cap, but I haven't changed it.

6. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I really should order those! We have only been at it for 4 months but, I still don't have spare caps:eek:

7. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

We changed ours every 6 months until this past year and that was a mistake. By beginning of Dec. the cap would not stay tight at all. With the holidays and all the hustle and bustle, it took his pump shutting down on us before I called about a replacement. Instead, they decided to replace his pump because of lagging, dim light, and sticking buttons. Yeah, was more than a battery cap I was holding off on :rolleyes:
    I would suggest that at the very least you keep a back up handy. :cwds:

8. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We replace ours once a year if we haven't had the pump replaced in that time. My daughter is hard on the rubber button cover and we have had to get a replacement pump a number of times when its ripped off. Then of course, the battery cap is new again.

I do always keep a replacement cap on hand now. My daughter screwed the cap on crooked and stripped the threads and she had to go off the pump while we waited for one to be shipped.

9. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

We have so far

10. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

No. We keep a backup on hand, and have needed to replace it once in 2 1/2 years. I don't know about the rest of you, but we have to buy caps out-of-pocket─they're not covered by our insurance.

11. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Our insurance does not cover it either and they are not cheap (as they also tell us to change the cartridge cap also). They even advise to change battery cap every 3 months in a dusty environment... that could get pricey.

Are you able to tell if the battery cap is impeding function of the pump?

12. khannen

khannen Approved members

My father went almost a year on his Ping before having battery issues and we were told to change the cap. heh.. never even knew it was suggested until that point. Since then, It's actually been more often than 6 months. We make sure it's not overtightened and such, but often have issues. Changing to a new one has solved each one of them.

13. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

The one time we replaced the battery cap is when the pump lost all power. We had had no warning signs.

Since the battery cap is vital to the function of the pump, i.e., without it, pump will simply not work, one needs to be prepared to replace it immediately upon failure, or replace preemptively on some kind of schedule in order to minimize the risk of failure. Dd carries a spare in her purse, since we choose to not incure the expense of replacing it every 6 months.

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son's pump was losing its prime, not malfunctioning exactly, it would just tell him it need a prime several times in a row when he did a site change/refill. Changed all the caps and all was good.

And here's where I admit that we do not change them regularly. Guess maybe we should though....