- advertisement -

anesthetic and diabetes????

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lotsoftots, May 10, 2012.

1. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

ok does anyone know if general anesthetic can cause blood sugars to go crazy!!! I know they say it can stay in your system for a week...its been a week since Samantha had her surgery and her numbers are still sooooo high I m not sure if I should start changing up numbers now or give it a day or two longer to see if things start to go back to normal

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Is she taking any post-surgery antibiotics?

3. lotsoftots

yes she was just finished the last of it last night

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son's numbers were crazy out of control for a few weeks, but I think pain was the bigger factor. Is she in much pain from surgery?

Pain, body healing, stress/adrenaline, all this things are probably more important than the anesthesia, IMO.

My son's temp basal ended up being a permanent basal...well, that's not entirely true, he had a 200% temp for a while and that didn't last, but he did end up needing an across the board increase that hasn't gone away and it's been 2 months!

Not much help here, sorry.

5. lotsoftots

she had to have tubes put in and adenoids removed, it was just minor surgery..for4 days her ears were hurting just the wind blowing she would hurt..her throat still hurts but is getting better..Dr said the older the child the harder it seems to hit them ..Samantha is almost 13..its just these crazy numbers now she will be 70 then out of the blue she is 500 :confused:

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I might wait and see if the BG settles down now. I'd be more inclined to point to the antibiotics and less to the anesthesia for the increased BG, plus, as was mentioned above, the general body stress from surgery.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just checking, there are no signs of infection? That can cause crazy BGs.

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

It could be one or more of all the reasons suggested above.
    The body has a stress response to trauma and surgery. There are many hormonal factors that come into play during and after surgery as a result of this trauma. This makes things difficult in all of us, never mind a diabetic. This paper describes the body's response (for non-diabetics but we can fill in the blanks).

The general stress of surgery and recovery will probably be playing a role.

Any pain will result in the release of catabolic hormones that start breaking down carbs, fat and protein and lead to an increase in glucose.

Also any infection would play havoc with BGLs. This can be difficult to manage as infection leads to increased sugar levels which the bugs feed on which exacerbates the infection.

My son had surgery yesterday and his BGLs are erratic in part due to a chest infection.

Hopefully if your daughter is feeling less pain and the antibiotics have warded off any potential infection her sugars will start to behave themselves in the near future. I hope that is the case. It is heartbreaking to watch a child go through this and to feel powerless to help.

Last edited: May 10, 2012