- advertisement -

And the other ?? Let's talk urine protein...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jcanolson, Nov 26, 2013.

1. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

DD's is slightly elevated. Not enough for them to do anything immediately, but definitely not in the normal range. They'll be retesting when we go in April and see where to go from there.

So what does this mean??:confused: I mean I know it could mean that kidney damage is starting, but what is the next step?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

There are a lot of folks with this challenge. It most likely means nothing, but you worry none the less.

Protein in the urine is just a signal that further testing is needed. You can get "false" high readings for a variety of reasons, as the next test is usually within normal range.

If the next test in April is out of range, then a 24 hour collection (or perhaps two) will be done. Maybe you will do the night-time urine in one container and the daytime in another.

If our of range after the second test, your child will be prescribed an ACE inhibitor which works like a charm.

My son ended up with postural proteinuria -- protein only when he was awake and upright. Night time urine was normal. He took an ACE inhibitor for about 6 years and then stopped as it was only protecting his kidneys, there was no damage being done. The protein disappeared on its own after that.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

My now 12 year old has been on ACE inhibitors (Lisinopril) since she was 8. She has a couple of abnormal random urines, then 3 raised early morning urines which rules out postural proteinuria. She had a kidney scan and we saw a nephrologist who prescribed the Lisinopril... All good now with no side effects at all :)

4. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Was it the morning sample?

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

It was morning but not first thing.