- advertisement -

And the award for the first kid this summer to jump in the pool with his pump goes to...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mysweetwill, Jul 3, 2012.

1. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

Us, yay, do we get an award?

Actually we may not be the first, has this happened to anyone else this summer?

My son got out of the pool to bolus for a snack and thought he'd stay out a while, I of course was distracted with the other kids and at some point in the next half hour or so he decided to jump back in. By the time I realized to ask him, he was getting out to tell me, uh oh, he left it on.

It seemed to work just fine, but we called medtronic and they said do not put it back on him, it was likely damaged and they are sending a new one Thursday am (because of the holiday).

He was "thrilled" to get the dreaded lantus shot but its only a day and a half, and honestly, there is a piece of me that is happy he had an hour or so of forgetting about his damn diabetes.

So, putting aside whether his BGs are a little off, is there anything else I should be aware of during this short transition back to injections? Our nurse practioner and I figured out his lantus based on his current basals, the carb ratios and sensitivity stay the same, we temporarily reduce the basal when he is back on the pump on Thursday until the lantus runs through his system. Anything Im forgetting or not thinking of?

Thanks.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Personally, I would inspect the pump for any hair line cracks and or water in the batery o cartridge compartment, and if nothing I would keep the pump on and just check bg to keep make sure no problems.

We have an animas and have gone in the pool and fresh water many times, she even has done the water parks with it on.

But that is just me, If I was hesitant about going on shots for just a few days then i would wade it out.

3. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Well...not the pool, but a few weeks ago my 3 year old fell in the horse's water tank with his pump! So I guess we have you beat by a few weeks LOL :eek: He was soaked, but wasn't in the water for more than a few seconds. The pump worked fine and we have had no issues, luckily.

4. mysweetwill

Right, but isn't the Ping waterproof? Our pump is not, and although it seemed ok, customer service told me he buttons could start sticking and they couldn't guarantee it would function properly. So it was a no brainer.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Once out of the box and in use neither the ping nor the mm is really "waterproof", though most can get wet without a problem. But all it takes is one hairline crack to render either pump not waterproof.

That said, if the pump seemed undamaged I'd go ahead and use it if at all possible.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

What she said - but if I felt more comfortable using shots, I would use shots. We have done both in this situation.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Apparently the Aquapack got a slice from rocks while building sandcastles at camp, so when my daughter climbed out of the pool at a party last week, the pump was in a pouch of water. It's working fine; it didn't occur to me to call Medtronic.

8. mysweetwill

In that case I may not have called either, but he was in the pool a while. Just out of curiosity I was playing around with the pump just now and buttons were sticking, I couldnt click into some areas. So better safe than sorry.

9. natallia

natallia Approved members

would the new pump be free in such situation or would Metronic want monies for it?

10. minniem

minniem Approved members

Ha, Ha...I laughed when I saw this thread because my DS did the same thing a few weeks ago. We were all at the pool, he had reconnected for snack and then the lifeguard blew their whistle so all the kids could get back in the water after the 10 min break and in he went. I was distracted with my other kiddos and next thing I knew DS was coming out of the water soaking wet saying: "Uh oh".

We just towel dried the pump and it seemed to be working fine so we didn't call Medtronic. He was only in the water long enough to go under and then realized it was still on.

I figured it happens to every kid now and then. On one hand, I was so glad he could forget he had diabetes for a minute and on the other I was scared he broke his pump. All is well though!

11. mysweetwill

Yes, ours is under warranty and they said if under warranty the only way its not replaced free is if lost or stolen. I called twice to make sure!

12. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Most of the time I intentionally swim with my pump on. (Minimed for the past five years, Animas for four years before that) This year I plan not to because my pump is out of warranty. I have only had problem with water once and that one was my fault, I knew I had a deep "scratch" in the screen that turned out to be a full thickness crack. When there is a problem you know it, it won't just appear like everything is fine. In my opinion, in addition to not needing to deal with missed insulin over long periods of time, I'd rather risk the slight chance of water damage which is covered by warranty than loss or theft which is not. The waterproofness is really a legal technicality thing, to get something certified as waterproof is a lot harder than water resistant. They can withstand normal swimming, but not depths, like scuba diving.

13. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Funny thing about the two pumps (Animas and MM) the waterproof / water resistant ratings specs are identical on the two pumps. MM used to rate theirs as waterproof, but had too many customer situations along the lines of what Sarah Maddie's mom wrote, so they withdrew the waterproof rating. Legally and technically, they could still rate it waterproof - but the company doesn't feel comfortable doing so. When we were researching pumps, we received a one and a half page letter in the MM packet from the CEO explaining the companies stance and listing the specs for each device (theirs, Animas, and Omnipod).

I'm not sure if it would have occurred to me to call or not, despite what a worry wort I can be. Glad they were easy to deal with and will get the new pump to you on Thursday. Now I'm sticking this in my mental box of When this happens because I know someday it will happen to us as well!

14. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Our Aquapack is once again keeping water out with a duct-tape fix! (Designer, of course.:rolleyes:)

15. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

we still have the pump matt got from my
    dad. it has been through several x-rays a cat scan,
    and more showers and laying at the bottem of a tub then I care to count.

dad couldnt seem to get it disconected easily, so he often didnt. Im sure matt had also gotten it wet many a times with his puddle hopping and boating in puddles. The boy attracts water like honey to flys. Its now are backup pump for the revel.
    darn thing is totally industrial boy proof, matt has pounded the tar outta it. Hope his revel is as good.

16. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

My daughter has jumped in pools, the ocean, the tub and shower forgetting about her pump. Like the others said all is well as long as there are no fractures, but it can be really hard to see those fractures sometimes. MM is really good about replacement pumps.

17. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Disagree, Ping is considered waterproof. See specifics at the link.

http://www.animas.com/about-insulin-pump-therapy/water-and-pumps

18. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I jumped into a salt water pool on a cruise with my MM. Didn't realize until i got out 10 minutes later. Thankfully it was OK.

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

20. timsma

timsma Approved members

Yep. They're all waterproof until they get even a hairline crack. Then none are. That is why MM stopped their claim of being waterproof. I think the others should stop claiming that as well.