- advertisement -

And now for something more uplifting

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by njswede, Sep 21, 2015.

1. njswede

njswede Approved members

I'm so sick and tired of all the bickering over sugar molecules or whatever the eff is going on, so I'm going to brag about my son instead.

He's 7, about to turn 8. Yesterday, we did a 15 mile brisk bike ride and climbed down a canyon and back up again. He pretty much managed his blood sugar himself with occasional bites from granola bars. I'm so darn proud of him how he's not letting his diabetes slow him down one bit. I hope I'm something of a role model to him, but he's definitely my role model when it comes to reacting to adversity. If anything, he's become more athletic since his dx and more aware of his health and how he treats his body. He's my hero.

noahcanyon.jpg

2. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

Thanks for posting something uplifting for a change! It is amazing the way these kids take charge of their health.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Love it! Thanks for sharing. He looks like a confident and fun kid!

4. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

And absolutely adorable, too!

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

He looks healthy & happy. Love it!

6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Keeping up with the idea of uplifting/good news, though not as handsome as njswedes picture, this was our first week or so after pump start (22 months since diagnosis). 92% between 70 and 180. 3% high. 5% low. We put in a change to the basal profile to bring up the lows we are seeing starting at around 11PM. Not every week will be like this, but this week was, and it felt good to see we can be successful with new technology. thanks to the CDE's at CHOP who took our dex data very seriously!

7daysonthepump.jpg

7. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

8. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Well we will see after 90 days. I was worried about the adjustment period, but when we went to pump class i came armed with gobs and gobs (a technical term) of Dex data and they took it very seriously. We didnt get the default formulas. We were treated to their expert opinion because of the data we brought in, and then the results of a basal test a few days later.

yes DS loves it, although we had our first instance of what I call "pump drama" Saturday night. He was sleeping over his brothers house and I noticed that after a correction he was still rising an hour later, so a call was made at like 2AM and he had to crawl out of bed and change his site. He was not happy about that part but he did it, and he did thank me when he arrived home on Sunday.

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I would've danced with joy at a graph like that at pump start. Congrats!

10. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I would dance with joy at a graph like that anytime!