- advertisement -

An update: stress, blood sugars, lipid clinic, and a movie?!

Discussion in 'Teens' started by malyssa, Jan 21, 2009.

1. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Well, this week is mid-term week at my school. Everything we've learned for the first half of the year, for each subject. Needless to say, it has me very stressed out. In fact, my blood sugar hit 536 during my Math exam on Tuesday because I was so nervous about it. Not fun. Talk about not being able to concentrate when it really counts! :( My blood sugars have been up and down all week because of the ehctic exam schedule and all the stress about doing well. You see, if we get A's all four quarters at school, and on our mid-terms, as seniors, we don't have to take the final, so it's a big deal this year.

I went to the Lipid clinic at CHOP today. What an appointment. I was in there for almost four hours! :eek: I had to go because my cholesterol was elevated, and has been elevated since I was diagnosed with the hashimotos about two years ago. So, we went there, talked to one of the pediatric cardiologists (who was extremely nice by the way) and her only suggestion, really was to try and get more cardio in my routine, which is hard because of time, because ya have work and school, and then homework, and just being a teen...it's tough. We also saw a RD there. She didn't really have much to change about my diet, because I'm a pretty healthy eater. I love my fruits and veggies...they were happy about that. :) She only really suggested that I try and get more fiber in my diet, and try to eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day as opposed to my three, so..thats how that went.

Now, I'm not sure if I told you guys about this, so bear with me, lol. We have 16 students with diabetes in my high school, including me. And, as I'm sure you all know, people can be ignorant about diabetes...they think they know everything- Can't have sugar...Yeah, okay. And in school, you always run into those few teachers who are just RUDE. They don't understand the disease at all. They think they do, but really, they know nothing. Well, I've had enough of them, ya know. In particular, my gym teacher and my physics teacher. Oh boy, don't even let me get started. So anyways, back to my point...People need to be informed about TYPE 1 diabetes, and they need to know the difference from type one and type two, because, they really are two totally different diseases. So, while I was low on day sitting with the school nurse, we were throwing ideas at each other about what we could do. (I wrote a letter to my principal back in September about starting a fundraiser, so, we are going to make this the kickoff). So, as we were talking, she said; "We should just make a movie. Like, what you guys go through on a daily basis, 24/7/365." Well, I thought that was brilliant! All I would have to do was get some other students with diabetes to agree to helping out, and starring in this movie. And so you have it, we are making a movie; A Day In The Life, or something of that nature. We had a meeting last week with one of the multimedia teachers at school to see how we would go about doing it and everything. And, would you know that about 8 showed up!? Eight of us, not including me (it was during my lunch, so I couldn't go). To me, that is an amazing outcome. We are going to start getting it together and filming as soon as midterms are over. I'm excited. This could mean so much for how future students with diabetes are treated, and hopefully it will give all of the teachers and students a better understanding of what tyoe one diabetes really is. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out!! Who knows, maybe it'll go past school, to the big screen! Haha. :p;)

Okay, sorry for the lenghty update. But right now, I gotta go study some more for my Physics, Health, and Anatomy exams! :eek: I will talk to you all soon!! Thanks for reading!!

Malyssa

2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I hear ya on the exams (i only had to take 2) I don't think I've ever gone low from stress before today! I woke up at 77 :eek: by 7:30, I was 98-ate 43g but dosed for 30g cuz i was worried about getting low during an exam. I was 128 at 9:30 (2hrs post breakfast) I had 15g w/o a bolus (again worry about lows during exams) At 11 I was 164, but did not correct. At the end of my 2nd exam at 1 I was 109 Good thing I didn't bolus!
    Sorry to hear your appointment was soooo slow. I've found if I bring something to do and actually start to do it, then a doc/nurse walks in. I get mad cuz I was actually doing something. I've told my ped about this, so she walks in and asks what song I started to listen to, lol.
    I like your idea about making a movie, I'ld love to see it and with your permission maybe show it with my senior project about d at school and d education. I made a brochure about d: symptoms, treatment, outlook, diagnostic tools, definition and such. After exams today, I traveled to the library and picked up 6 books on d and reserved 3 more :) I read think like a pancreas tonight- om goodness amazing book! I couldn't stop, I even took notes. I never heard of some of this stuff-why? Anyways, good luck on the movie. I think its awesome that you guys are willing to do this- way to go!

3. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

Hey Malyssa.

That 536 sounds like it sucked. I don't think I've been that high for a long time. I tell ya, I definitely would've failed that exam if I was that high. I suck at math anyways.:rolleyes: Being that high would've made it 100 times worse.

Sorry your appointment took so long. But at least you didn't come back here with bad news.

The movie sounds like an awesome idea. If you end up making it, see if you can post it to YouTube or something. I'd love to see it.:D:D

Good to see you around the forums again.:D

4. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

That movie sounds awesome!!! Definetly try to post it to youtube or something when you're done, I'd LOVE to see it. :D

I fought lows during a test today, I feel your pain. :( Although, 536? Thats insane! I was hovering around 53 for about an hour.

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

536?!? Wow. I hope I don't get like that for the SAT. Ugh.

You were at the clinic for FOUR hours? I would SO have lost my patience LOL.
    Glad you updated, I was getting worried :D.
    Oh yeah, and you HAVE to post that on youtube.

~~Emily

6. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Awe! I'm sorry to hear about your low battle...what a pain!! It seems like bouts of lows and highs ALWAYS happen at the worst possible times. :rolleyes:
    Haha. I did bring a book to read, but I got bored of it after a while, lol.
    I would love to show you guys this movie when it's finished. As long as it's ok with everyone in it, I will definately show it to all of you and or post it on youtube. I always wanted to read that book! Now I just want to read it more!!

7. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I know, right? I havent been that high in a long time either. I am not a huge fan of math either, but I'm not too bad at it, lol. I am pretty sure I didn't do as well as I could have, but oh well.
    Thanks! I feel like I haven't really been here in forever!

8. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I have to get permission from everyone, but if I get the okay from all of them, I most definately will!
    Ugh! Lows are a pain in the butt too. Today I woke up at 54 :confused: Not cool. Didn't even feel it. *sigh* Yeah, 536 wasn't much fun. I felt pretty bad. I hope you have better blood sugars tomorrow!

Awe!! Just try not to stress over the SAT. People make them out to be much worse than they actually are. It's not bad, really. :)

Yeah, four loooong hours. I was about to lose my patience, lol.
    Thanks! I'm glad I finally got the chance to update! So busy lately!
    I knowww I have to. I will talk to everyone as soon as I can.

9. s0ccerfreak

Hopefully everyone will be cool with putting it up on youtube when finished. I'm so excited for you!!
    I'm starting to think yesterday wasn't just stress. Today, I was low at 9:30am I ate 4 tabs and fell asleep w/ pump suspended. I woke up 4 hrs later :eek: and was 117! What in the world. I'm thinking i'm lucky for falling asleep w/ pump suspended.

10. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thanks! I'm pretty excited too. Even though diabetes really sucks, I'm glad I have a lot of other students with type one in my school to talk to, and make this movie with...kinda like power in numbers.
    Wow. Ya know, I have had the same problem today. My "high" for the day has been 99. :eek: I was low this morning too. Uhm, at 4am I was 55, and it took me almost ten tabs to get me above 70. So, I fell back to sleep, and when I woke up at 6:30am I was 91. And then I ate breakfast, but I only covered for like a third of it, and I had exams today, so when I got to school to take my Anatomy and Physiology one, I was 79, so I suspended my pump, and when I was done, about an hour later, I was 84. :confused: So before I drove home, I took a juice box, and when I got home I was 82, and then I fell asleep and woke up at 50! :eek:
    You are definately lucky to have fallen asleep with the pump suspended this time. I don't know whats going on, but it seems like lows are in the air!

11. s0ccerfreak

Lows are definately in the air! I've hit the 40's twice today!I even ate choc chip cake uncoveredand went low (not complaining about that)

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Lows were in the air over here yesterday.. Today, highs are definitely in the air. And lows. Basically, whacky BGs are in the air. ):

13. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Y'all should all come down here...great numbers today :D.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

No fair! I've gone.. high, normal, high, normal, low, low, high, high, high, and finally I'm down to 160. =D

15. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I've been 192 (waking up) 129, 90, and 119.

16. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

:eek: Wow, hitting the 40's twice in one day! Not fun! However, it does feel like quite a treat when you can eat something that would normally make you high, and have a low, or in range bg after it. I love when that happens (more-so the in range bg, not the low, however, to me, anything is better than being high!)

It must be the week. I was high all day Tuesday, and Wednesday I was okay, but yesterday I started with a few lows, and today is just crazy. Back down to 79 before dinner. It seems like everyone is having either lows or highs lately. I hope you start seeing some nice numbers soon! :)

Lucky!!! :p:D