- advertisement -

Amt. of diabetics

Discussion in 'Teens' started by alisong0223, May 6, 2006.

1. alisong0223

alisong0223 Approved members

Yesterday in my biology class I was done with my lab and I saw that my teacher had a science mag. with a "cure for diabetes" thing on the front, so I flipped to the article, and although I didn't read all about how to cure it, I found out that in 1985 about only* 30 million people had diabetes, and now the number is up to 180 million people.

I just thought that you might like to hear that statistic because I thought it was craaazy.

*only is relative

2. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

One thing that might affect that statistic is that there is a lot more info about diabetes nowadays, so there are more diagnoses. Most of those people are type 2, (type 1s are only about 10% of diabetics) and often times people don't know they have it. So, since there is more info, more people are going in and getting checked, therefore, seemingly "more" diabetics. That is a crazy statistic though!

3. Boo

Boo Approved members

One way to look at it is that the more people who are diagnosed with diabetes, (hopefully) the more money that will be funnelled into research for a cure or at least better ways to control the disease!

4. hot_cheerleader_101

hot_cheerleader_101 Approved members

hey I like that analogy! Nice Attitude Boo!

5. Future_Star

Future_Star Approved members

Hi!

wow! Diabetes really gaves me my head spinning!