- advertisement -

Aminas Insulin Pump

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Grayson's Mom, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Grayson's Mom

Grayson's Mom New Member

Hi, I am hoping maybe I can get some advice on insulin pumps. My son was just diagnosed 5/14, he are going to a pump class, not sure what pumps are good. There pros and cons and I understand, but hoping someone who has a child on this pump will let me know what the experience is so far. Thank you.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi, I'm not sure how old your son is and I don't have experience with that pump but I know plenty of people here do and will chime in. I just wanted to let you know that if your son does not like a pump with a tube there is the Omnipod that is the only tubeless pump on the market now. My daughter really enjoys the convenience of it. You just stick it to the body and go. You can shower with it on and it is great for active individuals.

Good luck with your decision.

3. samson

samson Approved members

We used an Animas Ping. It's great in many ways. The ability to deliver tiny doses was a major plus during the honeymoon, when TDD could be less than 4 units. The remote is great for a small child.
    Downside: Lots of button pressing to deliver a bolus, and you can't issue temp basals from the remote. A hassle to have to enter his room when our son was sleeping. Waterproof was also a big plus. We left it on when he was swimming and it was fine, though we found it more convenient to remove the pump for swimming.
    Downside: It's not tubeless.
    Have not used an Animas Vibe so can't speak to its virtues.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I don't know how helpful this is, but they are all good, and they all "do" the same thing. The difference is in the details, and there really is no one "best" option for everyone. The best advice is to get the opportunity to "play" with each option hands-on, and see what you like and don't like before getting set on something - and don't get caught up on thinking you want/need one feature over everything else.

I've used all of the major pumps other than OmniPod (though I hated wearing the demo pod each time I tried it) and there really isn't any one that I wouldn't use again. There have been things I liked/disliked about each, but nothing has been an absolute deal-breaker. Some things I have thought would be essential (such as bolusing from the remote) are really not as important as I initially thought them to be.

5. Chinadoll

Chinadoll New Member

Hello, my son too was DX with DM (4/29/14) only a month before he turned 6.... My husband and I have finally decided to consider a pump. Unfortunately I'm having trouble trying to choose one. At this point we're considering the One Touch Ping (which has a tube) or the OmniPod which is tubeless. We're also considering the G4 or G5 cgm system. I'm so totally indecisive. Hopely you and I can get some good input! Good luck ☺