- advertisement -

Am I over-reacting??

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Hayden'sMom, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Hi all...

So my son is in kindergarten this year, and I notice on the calender that one day next week is pancake day! Sounds fun right:rolleyes: Anyways, I asked the teacher if she makes the pancakes from scratch with the kids (thinking, I would offer to provide the class with great GF pancake mix that the kids could add eggs/milk/oil to)... She said she likes to make them from scratch.. .and I said, ok. I will bring my son's own supplies (mix, ingredients, spoon, bowl, and frying pan). She asked if I was overreacting??? and suggested that because I have so much going on with my life (diabetes too), that I was making a big deal out of his celiac!

So I am asking you.... would you send all of these items with your celiac child so they could participate? or would you keep them from school for the day?? There is no way I am going to risk cross-contamination just for simplicity's sake??

Thanks!

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

She is obviously very rude and ignorant of celiac disease. I would have a talk with her (and maybe even her boss if she still doesn't get it), and then send along the frozen gluten-free waffles for your son. They are very yummy and most kids like waffles better than pancakes, anyway.

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Agreed :( Does he have a 504 in place? If not, this might be a prime opportunity to bring it up. Being exposed to gluten by someone who is ignorant about celiac is a "big deal!"

4. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

Her response is completely unacceptable. Do go over her head. Someone needs to know and the school needs to be on board. If you are not able to be there, they should assign someone to your little one. As an adult with CD, I would be uncomfortable in that environment, even with my own supplies as the cc risk is high, depending on how things are handled. If the teacher is not careful and doesn't wash her hands while reaching over to help your kiddo and your kiddo, being little is not likely to be as diligent....I think it can be done safely but a plan and cooperation is needed. Ask her how it will play out for the other kids, what the setup will be, where things will be and take place, exact locations in the classroom, etc. You have a right to know.

I'm not a confrontational person but I've needed to dig my heals in this year about an allergy my son and I have that can produce anaphylaxis. I had a teacher last year who was VERY rude and oppositional. I won't go through that again so I will no longer meet one on one and be subject to a she said, he/she said recounting of a meeting gone wrong, maybe bring a 3rd party, and be sure to have a witness so people know they will be held accountable. I'm sorry it's come to that with us, but safety first. I tried it the nice way. I'm not going in defensive, just protected ;) My son already has an IEP so I had wording about his allergy avoidance put into it at the beginning of the school year. Your kiddo's health and safety come first.

I really think they should do GF pancakes for everyone. It's not a big deal for them all to eat GF pancakes. They can be just as good as the rest and no more difficult, even for someone who's never done it before. I use Carol Fenster's recipe at home, from her GF Quick and Easy. It starts from a homemade mix that you premix. It has real butter, not oil and vanilla and buttermilk so it's quite flavorful in that made from scratch, real ingredients way.

5. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I don't think you are overreacting. They should be accomodating to the celiac disease, esp if you are offering to provide the gf alternative. If they give you trouble...I would be fine with him helping make the regular pancakes...but EAT pancakes that you make ahead & send, or as prev poster said, gf waffles or something. He is still small enough that YOU call all the shots. My 13 year old would just go with the flow, help cook & not eat....but she would be mortified if I told the teacher to make gf pancakes.

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My response would be "if he had a peanut allergy, would I be overreacting to take precautions?" I would've reminded this woman that he has a total intolerance to gluten. If he eats it, he will be miserable and sick. If I tell him he can't have the treat other kids are having, he will be sad and feel left out.

In my son's school, the French teacher frequently had a crepe party for good test scores. I modified her recipe and sent in GF batter that everyone loved. No harm, no foul, and my child was able to partake of the treat.

Good luck working this out. It's not always easy being our child's best advocate, but it's totally worthwhile!

7. mocha

mocha Approved members

You are not over reacting. The teacher is not cooperating and being quite rude, if you ask me.

Do what you need to do, what's right for your son. At that age, it's important that he's included in all activities. It's important that he and everyone else in his life learn that any medical condition doesn't hold you back or make you unable to participate.