- advertisement -

Am I normal???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by perrinsmom, Apr 13, 2014.

1. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

So so so normal. It's so painful in the first few months (maybe first couple years too). I remember the first BAD lows my dd had and I broke down and cried. I just kept thinking it was all my fault. No one in my family has t1 so I think that made it harder tool, I didn't understand what D really was.

4 years later, my adopted attitude has been something like... This too shall pass, tomorrow's another day,etc. it's a way of thinking that I had to try hard to change.

I do truly thank God that it's not worse. My daughter is happy and healthy.

My life has probably changed more than hers. I constantly think about her and I'm up most nights testing more than I need to. I feel like I've been a nurse for the past 4 years with absolutely no breaks. Kids are more resilient than we are and that makes me feel better. In 4 years she has asked me once why she has D..only because she started kindergarten so she realized that she's a little different.

I can't remember the last time I cried... I guess that's good lol

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi there. I haven't been here in ages, but your post brought back a lot, I mean A LOT, of memories.

It's totally normal what you are feeling, and, as hard as it may be to accept, it is a necessary step in this whole journey. There will be a day when D will not be the ONLY thing you think about. At least, I hope you get to that day. It takes time, though. One day you'll just realize hey you're actually doing ok. I wish that for you.

My advice is to be patient with yourself, but also with others. I remember just being so overwhelmed with the dx and with having all of this D stuff to deal withand needing to just say outloud what I was feeling inside, that sometimes I annoyed the crap (pardon my French) out of people.:redface: But, unless one walks a mile in our shoes (and us in theirs), noone can really understand. But I'm sure there are people who will be willing to just listen.

Back to my advice - remember there's a whole bunch of life out there. Be courageous (rather, continue to be) and do stuff, as a family, alone, with friends, with your kid. Enjoy what you can, learn from what you cannot.

Best of luck.

PS - I'll update my siggy, but here's my info: kid dx in oct. 2006 at 2, almost 3 yrs old. He's now 10, showing signs of entering puberty (OMG!!!) and I'm not ready. But he's a happy kid, with a big attitude. D behaves when it can. :)