- advertisement -

Always high at lunch - help

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Gilliansmom, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Gilliansmom

Gilliansmom Approved members

Hey everyone, dd is doing well, but she has lunch every day at 10:30am and she's usually in the low 200's or 190's. She eats breakfast at 7am and doesn't eat that much, but does insulin. Is it too close to breakfast that makes her high and should she do a correction? Also, she seems to be high after school, but then does a correction. Oye! She's eating a plain turkey sandwich for lunch and a snack. She also seems to be high at bedtime. She says she is bolusing enough, but it seems to me that maybe she isn't or should we just increase her Levimir? Some days this is so confusing!!!!! And lets not forget she is a 13 year old girl, with hormones raging all over the place:confused: Thanks everyone...

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Sorry to hear she seems stuck on the high side. Some questions for you:

What carb ratio is she using?

When is she getting her Levemir?

What's her weight and TDD?

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

If she is high 3-4 hours after a meal, not enough insulin was given at the meal. Sounds like the ratio is off.

4. Gilliansmom

Her I:C is 1:20 during the day and 1:15 at night. She's getting 17 units of Levimir at bed time and her correction is 70. Also why would she wake up sort of low, she was 84 this morning? Could what she bolused last night for correction and Levimir make her low this morning? or is it just that she was sleeping and not burning off glucose? that is still confusing for us to understand. Thanks again for your responses, I am so grateful to be able to get on her and speak to other parents. Lisa

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'd love to respond to your questions, but need more information.

Her weight and TDD would really help in rounding out the picture.. :cwds:

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

High blood sugars 3-4 hours after a meal show that more insulin is needed at the meal. I would change the I:C ratio to 1:17 to see if this works, and then 1:15 if needed.

It is hard to say why she was 84 without measuring during the night to see what is happening. I would be happy with an 84 -- it is good to start the day in range.

7. Gilliansmom

what us TDD? Her weight is now 87 lbs.

8. Gilliansmom

Amy, I never have checked her BG at night, it's one of the reasons we love the Levimir. I don't know if that's bad, but the doctor told us its. ok. Maybe I should check her thought? The doctor lowered her lunch and dinner to 1:15 and she seemed more in range today. Thanks. Lisa

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

If you are curious about the 84, you need some idea what happened the previous 8-10 hours. I would be happy with an 84.

I am glad the doctor mostly confirmed what I would have done.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

TDD is total daily dose - how much insulin (basal and bolus added together) she gets on an average day.

11. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I just want to add that some kids -- my dd is one of them -- have a HIGHER need for insulin the first meal of the day (which we can call breakfast, but can occur at any time of day). For these kids the meal that starts in an empty stomach requires a higher insulin:carb ratio.

Our experience-- dd gets 1:9 for the first meal and 1:16 - 1:20 for all other meals.

Not sure if this is the same for MDI and using multiple insulins, but I thought it might give you and your endo something to think about.

12. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hurts my feelings!! :(

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

There are many folks who ask what someone else would do in a situation like this. Everyone knows the other parents are not endocrinologists, but most are experts in what goes on with their child and can advise from that aspect.

Sharing tips on this forum is one of its positive attributes -- one of the main features, in fact.

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

This is one of the strangest posts I've seen on this site. :confused:

You are new to the site, have no knowledge of how it works, and are apparently unaware that many folks here - through a combination of personal experience (in managing their childrens' diabetes) and diligently acquired expertise - have the ability to provide significantly better advice than many endocrinologists.

And despite the fact that you really don't have a clue, you denigrate both the OP and the rest of the members of the site. You're not off to a very good start here..

15. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Does she bolus before meals or after. My DS had high number at lunchtime and I think we MAY have figured it out... he was not bolusing before breakfast, but after he ate... so we are bolusing up front for all meals, and this seems to work better for us... YDMV.

Good luck.

16. Trev

Trev Approved members

Most of the type ones, teens, adults, kids, I live with and treat require approx >30% more bolus insulin before breakfast. Due to the hormones released after waking up. Don't know if someone already mentioned this. Cheers.

17. Trev

Trev Approved members

I have to echo that and agree with the site boss! Cheers!

18. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Thanks so much for this! On the weekends, we've started using the 6am ratio for whenever Molly wakes up...and it's been working so much better! I love the great information on these forums!

19. Trev

Trev Approved members