- advertisement -

Alternatives to glucose tabs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Deacon, Jan 19, 2008.

  1. Mom2Deacon

    Mom2Deacon Approved members

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    Messages:
    2,971
    I was told at my last endo appt. that pixie sticks and smarties were good alternatives to glucose tabs. Are there any others? Have any of you chosen to carry something other than juice or glucose tabs for lows?

    --Sara
     
  2. LJS118

    LJS118 Approved members

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    Messages:
    1,897
    99% of the time we treat with glucose tabs. The other 1% we've used lifesavers, smarties, sugar cubes or any pure sugar candy(no chocolate)
     
  3. MamaChrissa

    MamaChrissa Approved members

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Messages:
    770
    I always have fruit snacks in my purse for lows. J wouldn't touch a glucose tab with a 10 foot pole. :rolleyes:
     
  4. funnygrl

    funnygrl Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2005
    Messages:
    2,324
    I personally find fruit snacks work well for me. They're tasty, portable, high carb, and don't go bad.

    I know some people avoid them due to having fructose though.
     
  5. SuperGracie

    SuperGracie Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    Messages:
    55
    The little table top jelly packets from IHOP work great. It's tough to get Grace to eat or chew or cooperate at all for that matter when she's low so the jelly is soft and she barely has to chew it, just open up and swallow it. 15 grams per packet.
     
  6. MrsBadshoe

    MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    Messages:
    1,427
    We have used skittles or starburst in the past...but sour apple glucose tabs have turned into a family favorite....
     
  7. allisa

    allisa Approved members

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2006
    Messages:
    1,619
    I've just started to use tabs with my son ( he picked up the habit @ Joslin Camp)......but prior to that.....I always buy the reduced Halloween/Easter/Valentine/Christmas candy......they always have individual "fun" sizes of assorted Skittle, Starburts, Nerds, etc....great economical way to stock up ! They are alwyas 75-90% reduced after the Holdiay of Choice !! Also....Marshmallow Peeps.....work great !
     
  8. Momof4gr8kids

    Momof4gr8kids Approved members

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2006
    Messages:
    4,143
    We use sports drinks rather then juice. Higher lows (60-70) we treat with higher gi fruits like grapes. Before play if she is 70-100 we give crackers, or half a sandwich something that isn't too fast that'll last.

    Really bad lows I use corn syrup. 1 table spoon is 15, and she doesn't have to chew. This is for lows below 30.

    Everything in between we sometimes use candy, but mostly glucose tabs and sports drinks.
     
  9. Abby-Dabby-Doo

    Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Messages:
    4,804
    The scary lows and night time we use 15g Juicy Juice boxes. For a little pick me ups, we use skittles.
     

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice