- advertisement -

alternative to SPI belt?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Snowflake, May 1, 2016.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

We've been using Spi belts almost as long as my daughter has been on the Dexcom. The Spi belt did a pretty good job with the 7 and with the G4 receiver. But now that we're using an iPod touch as her Dexcom receiver, her Spi belts don't seem to be holding up so well -- they quickly pop holes around the device corners.

For those who use a phone or iPod touch as the receiver, are there any other good pouches or fanny packs out there worth checking out?

2. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I've had success using the flipbelt. I don't use a CGM, but the flipbelt that I have comfortably carries my pump, phone, and emergency carbs whenever I exercise (what I like about it is that the pocket is pretty much the entire belt, so I could have some emergency supplies or less-commonly used diacrap around my back).

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Flip would be a good choice I agree, or the tallygear original one too, has big pockets!

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I also highly recommend the FlipBelt.

5. Snowflake

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm spinning through both wesbites, trying to figure out sizing. One question about both: would these options be relatively easy for another person to remove, or to get the device out of? The nurse's aide at school pulls her receiver out 3 or so times a day (same thing with camp counselors, grandparents, etc) -- so I want to be sure we get something that other caregivers would be comfortable messing with. thanks!

6. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

For what its worth - I find the flip belt big- My daughter is 5, and the xs flip belt is a bit baggy on her. And yah, it would be pretty easy for someone else to get the dexcom out of - keep the pockets facing forward. The Tallygear one, has a velcro closure, but then easy to reach in and grab out. Neither more difficult than the spibelt i wouldn't say

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I agree, the sizing on the FlipBelt is an issue for little ones. You could always cut the FlipBelt, remove some of the band, and reattach the ends. A bit challenging if you don't sew, but I suspect someone who does alterations wouldn't charge too very much... Gawd, this D-game costs a pretty penny, doesn't it?

8. Snowflake

Ain't that the truth! And who knew that diabetes would be the first thing in my life to make me think I should learn to sew? I didn't see that coming at diagnosis! :)