- advertisement -

Alternate site testing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TimO, Sep 13, 2009.

1. TimO

TimO Approved members

Carter's little fingertips look like a black warzone, and that's using the Multiclix 10 times/day. Does anyone use the Aviva and alternate site testing? Friends use the Freestyle and test on the calf and have no problem, but when I use it with the Aviva I'm always suspicious. Once it was 100 points off from the fingertip - although the Aviva says it's approved for alternate site testing. Does anyone use the forearm, palm or leg with the Aviva (with reliable results)? I've just got to give his fingertips a break. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can only offer this - Maddie has been doing 80% alternate site testing for the past, almost 7 years. We use a freestyle meter and see very little difference between her forearm numbers and her finger stick numbers. When she does test on her fingertips she uses the Pelikan Sun lancer. Yes it cost a fortune and yes it's big but it's the only tester that she says doesn't hurt. The Pelikan people claim that their lancer doesn't to the damage that a spring loaded one does and therefore tissue isn't scarred and then toughened by repeated pricking. :cwds:

http://www.pelikantechnologies.com/technology/pelikan-sun-technology

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Are you alternating fingers? Alternating sides of fingers? You said fingertips, are you using the sides? Every child is different but what I have read is that if you use alternate sites, such as toes, calves, forearms, etc. the number can lag behind the actual bg number by as much as 30 minutes. For some people (like Maddie) that doesn't happen. But just be aware that it can lag. Good luck...:cwds:

4. TimO

TimO Approved members

We aren't using the tips, used the sides of fingers since dx. Just wondered if anyone else used the Aviva and forearm or leg testing.

5. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I've never done any alternate sites, but lately I've been using her toes a lot. And I only use her toes at night. Just doing that has improved her fingers quite a bit.