- advertisement -

Almost one month on the Dex now

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by selketine, Oct 25, 2011.

1. selketine

selketine Approved members

William started the Dex on Sept. 26th I think so it has been almost a month.

The positives:
    • He likes it a lot. He is very invested in making it work and wants to "prove" to me how great it is - ha ha -since I liked the Nav so much and he didn't.:p This is the biggest positive for me - that he likes it.
    • He hasn't reacted to the sensor tape and it has stayed stuck for the most part (knock on wood there).
    • Insertion is less fussy than the Nav. Of course no underbandage to cut and all that.
    • Restart is definitely easy
    • Of course the 2 hour start up compared to the Nav's 10 hour start.
    • The calibrations are twice a day more or less, and easy to fit in - unlike the Nav that you really had to get a schedule going for.

The cons:
    • The BIGGEST for me is definitely that it can put up those ??? and not give readings but does not alarm you for it. In the end - at night - it makes the Dex worthless - frankly - unless you want to set your alarm to wake up and make sure the darn thing is working. I can't trust it for overnights cause of this. Yes - it far surpasses nothing for overnight but I hate those ??? with no alarm to let you know
    • Of course I liked the range of the Nav - could leave the receiver off. Now he has to wear it and I'm always asking his number. Sometimes he acks it and doesn't tell me it beeped high cause it just vibrates first.
    • The range issue means you need the baby monitor - dislike the baby monitor. Even when it beeps low at night with the baby monitor I don't wake up - it seems to wake up my husband though. So the alarms should be louder for me - with no baby alarm needed.

One sensor would not restart - one restarted and was great for 2 weeks - and the 3rd one started having problems about 4 days in and has been off and on the past 3 days (we were traveling). It comes off today. All in all - that is pretty good I think - for the first month.

I think if it would just alarm for the ??? after - say - 15 mins of ??? - then I'd be much happier with it. Chances are you aren't going to get the ??? overnight but we've already had one night with a lot of ??? that we didn't know about. 1-2x a month of ??? overnight with no readings and no clue that it wasn't reading is - just ridiculous IMHO. This is such a MAJOR problem with this system - for all the Nav's failings at least the darn thing let you know it wasn't working and could wake you up.

I am hoping someone points out some alarm I didn't set that would tell me of the ??? and make me feel like an very happy idiot.;)

I guess I forgot to point out that the accuracy has been pretty good. He definitely tests more - maybe 3-4 tests more a day - than on the Nav. I don't trust it enough to bolus off of it generally but it has been decently accurate - often within the margin of error for the meter.

All in all, I am happy with it - I just feel like it is more of a crap shoot than the Nav because of the ???.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Thanks for the comparison!

This is one of those things that should be very easy for Dex to fix. Like you say - an alarm that would go off after 15 minutes of ??? is sort of a no-brainer. And hardly a technological leap.

I'm glad you like it, though, and very glad that William is happy with it! :)

3. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

Thanks for the post! We just got our Dex in the mail and I'm looking forward to implementing it!

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have only had ??? maybe two or three times since 2008? I found the first time was that when we inserted it hit muscle and bent the sensor wire. When you take out the wire did it look bent? I have heard dramatic drops or going up very can cause it for a short time. Haven't had that case with us though. I have seen it when the sensor dies early during the second week .
    I agree a alarm for that would be something Dexcom should do.
    Also, make sure the transmitter is clicked in well in both sides at the bottom of the plastic.

Glad he likes it!

5. selketine

For all the positives of the system - that one negative is almost a deal breaker. That is way worse than the "indefinite mute" on the Nav cause at least I knew how to prevent it. I agree it should be an easy fix - should have already been fixed.

You'd think if the FDA was going to pick nits that would be a big nit right there. And it isn't even like a mistake in the software (like the indefinite mute) - seems like they just didn't think people would want to know in the middle of the night if their system wasn't giving numbers? Can you imagine if someone with type 1 who wore a Dex lost their life to the ??? People would be all over that.

How do other folks with the Dex deal with this potential issue overnight - do you get up and check or just hope that it is working or ?

Any chance I'm wrong and there is a way to make it alarm for the ???

But I would recommend the Dex from our experience so far - but only if you are willing to wake up every night and see if the bloody thing is working!

6. selketine

We've had it with every sensor I think - even the one that was really good.

With the current sensor it started doing the ??? after he had a big and persistent high BG (above 400) - which took a few hours to come down. The sensor has given ??? several times - when it works though it works fine. Like last night - worked fine - this morning just before I woke him up I got the ??? No apparent reason.

It's on the back of his arm and he definitely has some fat there so I don't think hitting a muscle is a problem.;)

7. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

I agree the ??? is a real pain and unfortunately they appear most of the time during the sleeping hours, the worst time. I also agree an alarm of some sort would be nice, but if you think about it, if it alarmed every 15 minutes that it had ???, you could potentially get a lot of alarms. And in the middle of the night that would drive me more batty then dealing with the ??? in the first place. Most of the time the ??? clear up and we get numbers again within an hour or so.

What I would like to see is a much better sensor altogether, that would avoid the ??? from even happening. I think it has a lot to do with the body being motionless for a long period of time. But then again, most of the time we get numbers all night long with no ??? at all, and she is motionless then too. Who knows why it really happens; I'm just glad we don't get them very often.

What I usually do when I see the ???'s is a BG check. I can then determine if the number is good enough to go back to sleep or if I need to check again later on.

Of course, YDMV, and we've been at this for 3+ years so the comfort level for us may be different. :)

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I have ???s with almost every sensor but I find that I can pretty well predict which nights are most likely to have ???s- generally the first few nights are possible ??? nights (where I have ??? almost the entire night), and then in the second and third weeks, ???s in the nights happen again but not for more than an hour or so at a time, and generally they're happening in the day too then.

I definitely agree that it needs a ??? alarm.

9. selketine

Well I'm thinking that the Dex has such customizable alarms that it would be an alarm you could turn off or snooze for your chosen length of time. I wouldn't mind snoozing it for 3 hours and have it alert me again if it wasn't giving readings - something like that.

LantusFiend - really interesting that your ??? are almost the whole night every night when the sensor is new. Our last sensor started getting the ??? after he ran really high for a couple of hours but was working fine the 2 days before that - and it was a new sensor.

10. hawkeyegirl

Or they could have it alarm once and give you the option of having it alarm again when readings resumed.

Man, we could create the perfect pump/CGM, couldn't we? Why don't these companies just consult us before they put a product on the market? :p

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

The silly thing is that so many changes that would make a huge difference to us just seem so technologically simple. I'm thinking:

1) Louder alarms.
    2) Dex alarming for ???.
    3) Parent monitor.

I mean, seriously? It's not like any one of those things is technologically beyond what can be currently achieved...

12. selketine

I agree.

Last night even with the baby monitor turned up at ear splitting level neither me or DH heard William's Dex signal a low (he says it beeped and vibed both - the vibe always comes first - then it beeps if you don't acknowledge it). Either William was still awake or it woke him up and he ate some skittles - then he came in and told me about it - and that he was scared that it didn't wake us up. I am sick with a cold and DH is just getting over it.

I guess I need a bed shaker or something.

The noise that comes through the baby monitor is horrible - if he even just touches the bedside table it makes a huge noise.

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Eric puts his in a flat ceramic dish he made at camp and we have a layer of coins in it. When it vibrates on those coins in that flat dish it makes some noise.

14. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

You need to get the Sonic Boom, you don't have to have the bed shaker part on. There is no way that you could sleep through that. We have Melissa's dial marked so that she can turn it off and then back on again to the correct loudness. It isn't turned up nearly as loud as it will go. No interference nonsense like the baby monitor either. I have an almost new one in the basement.

15. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

What is the Sonic Boom?

16. selketine

It is a receiver of sounds and an alarm clock - I think the main purpose of it is for those hard of hearing or deaf so they can be alerted to wake up in the morning or to the doorbell, smoke detector alarm, etc. It can be set to flash lights or shake the bed (with attachments).

You can get a transmitter to put in the kid's room that will make the receiver alarm when the noise hits a certain threshold - if I understand that right. I think it can alarm and not just flash lights.

You can find it on amazon.com - the whole system seems to be around $100 - two separate parts to it.

17. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Yes, and it will go off with just the vibrate on the Dex.

18. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

L has been on Dex for less than a week, and I appreciate the heads up on the ??? issue and lack of alarm for that.

19. hawkeyegirl

I would be very interested in hearing what you think of the Dex when L. has been on it long enough to do a comparision. :cwds:

20. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I will do that. I was thinking once we made it through the holidays and the initial "newness of Dexcom";) wore off, then I could post a decent comparison.