- advertisement -

allergy sufferers

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by hmmmcormick, Aug 24, 2010.

1. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Is there anybody out there that suffers only from allergy eyes but not other allergy symptoms? Is this possible? Morgan's eyes have been watery and he has been rubbing them a lot lately, probably for about the past 2 wks. They are not gunky, like and infection, and they generally aren't red either. At time he has tears just running down his face and I don't know what could be causing this. I do have an appt. this afternoon with his pedi., but I was curious about allergy eyes.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've heard of people getting just eye symptoms before. Personally, I always feel an allergy in my throat before anywhere else. You can get eye drops for hayfever which are really effective for the eye symptoms, and don't have as many side effects as drugs like Benadryl (in my experience).

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I get all over allergies - for fro 3 weeks in the summer and 2 weeks in the fall my eyes are horrendous. Nothing touches them - I take 4 Zyrtec and use a rx allergy eye drop. I just suffer.

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Could also be a problem with a tear duct... my sister and my father have something like that... constantly tearing eyes, rubbing... And now I find my lovely son keeps rubbing his eyes as well.. and sometimes the tears...

5. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

It really depends on what is causing my allergies. I am pretty much allergic to life, but different things triggers different symptoms. Fresh cut grass just makes my eyes itch and water. Cotton wood trees makes me sneeze. I could go on and on.:rolleyes:

6. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Yes, it is possible for his allergies to only be manifesting in his eyes. All 3 of the other people in my family have allergies and this is exactly how they first showed up. Unfortunately, it is very likely that the symptoms will eventually progress to other parts of his system.

Absolutely the best eye drops you can get for allergy eyes is Patanol. Little bitty white bottle. Street price 6 years ago was $65/bottle. Don't know what it is now since we have an active prescription for all three of them.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Ditto, my first and strongest allergy symptom is itchy eyes... and it progresses from there. I use systemic and localized allergy meds.. it's the combo that works best for me. I get seriously sick without them.. life is miserable. With them, I am okay "most" of the time.

8. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Thanks everyone. The dr. said his educated guess is allergies. He looked in Morgan's eyes and said he doesn't show the typical roughness of the eyelid usually associated with allergy eyes, but he wants to rule out the easiest thing first. He gave us a script for patanol and said it should help within a day or two, but if things are the same after a week to call back. I think he will send us to the ophthamologist after that to check tear ducts. We see one yearly anyway so it isn't a big deal to go, if we have to. I just hope the patanol works.

9. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

My eyes do the allergy thing minus other symptoms, I figure it means my eyes have come into contact with an irritant my body is allergic to, because they feel all itchy and water. I sometimes use over the contour stuff like visine to help out

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

Patanol worked the first year I used them...sniff sniff...

11. shekov

shekov Approved members

We just got back from a trip to WY where I had allergy eyes without a single other symptom for 3 miserable days. My brother who has multiple allergies was a WRECK (eyes, throat, nose,sinus).

I didn't believe him that it was allergies until we left WY and I was miraculously cured (as was he). :D