- advertisement -

Allergic to the metal sensor in the CGM?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by calebsmom1113, Feb 3, 2011.

1. calebsmom1113

calebsmom1113 Approved members

Is anybody having a reaction to the sensor itself? Caleb's skin is fine where the tape is so I know he's not allergic to the adhesive but he complains after a few days about the actual inserted sensor, the metal part. What should I do?

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We had the same issue. We ripped off all the Dexcom tape and tried several times with tape he was allergic to and found he was allergic to the sensor wire itself. Our fix? He changed to Minimed Guardian. Older son still on Dexcom.

3. Sam's mom

Sam's mom Approved members

My seven year old is allergic to the MM CGMS and unfortunately we have been unable to use it as a result. After two bad infections I discussed it with the clinical rep and his ped who agreed he must be allergic and he cannot wear it :(

4. buggle

buggle Approved members

If Caleb is allergic to the sensor itself, maybe your insurance will cover a minimed.

Carol -- did your insurance cover the switch?

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes insurance paid 80%, but it had already been a year since that they paid for a CGM.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

William seems to be allergic to infusion sets with cannulas.

Did we ever discuss what the sensor "wires" are made out of in the different cgms devices? Seems like there must be a different between the MM and Dex if one child has a reaction to one and not the other. I don't know how that compares to the Nav (not that many of us still use it but we use it and William doesn't react to it so I'd be curious to know if one is more like the Nav than the other).

If we move to another cgms system I might be more likely to pick one that is like the Nav's sensor wire material.

7. buggle

buggle Approved members

The sensor on the Nav is on a plastic polymer of some sort. I haven't looked at the Dex. When we remove this sensor, we'll have to take it apart. Brendan hasn't shown reactions to the sensors themselves or the cannula of the pod, thank goodness. The tapes give him lots of grief, though.