- advertisement -

Allergic to bees nond

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Williamsville mommy, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Just a q's my non d son, was stung had severe reaction. Can it linger?? He has had "that" cough, no wheezing for three days. I have been giving benadryl, but a bit nervous seeing we spent four hours in the ER....anyone else allergic that can shed some light for me, please???

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

My son's has a severe food allergy and usually the symptoms subsided within 24 hours. You might want to follow up with the pedi if he still seems sick. Make sure you get some epipens and have some for home and school.

**edited to add - I just looked again at the post and see his age - I think if there is any question he doesn't seem right I'd take him in.

3. Williamsville mommy

Got the pens already. I just don't like the cough that he still has....makes me nervous

4. selketine

I didn't realize he was a toddler when I posted that - my son's reactions were also when he was around that age but after 24 hours I'd say that it was mostly gone (his face swelled up so much you could barely see his eyes even!).

The cough could be coincidental but I'd call the pedi and have him seen to make sure that he isn't having any sort of asthma type reaction. If he seems at all like he is struggling to breathe - I'd call 911. Some severe symptoms would be:

• Has to stop in midsentence to catch his or her breath
    • Is using abdominal muscles to breathe
    • Has widened nostrils when breathing in
    • Is trying so hard to breathe that the abdomen is sucked under the ribs when he or she breathes in

Of course turning blue - blue lips and fingertips. Some kids never wheeze - just cough.

William would also lean forward when he was having a hard time breathing. He also wouldn't play as much - or in the same way - though usually he still kept playing.

5. KHM

KHM Approved members

I'm allergic to bee stings. I've never had lingering symptoms even when I went into anaphylactic shock. I've wheezed until I got my epinephrine and was usually much better very soon. You don't mention steroids---I always get steroids to help quiet the allergy symptoms. Take your little guy back to the doctor!

Wishing you the best---he'll be fine in time but he might need some pharmaceutical help.

Kathy

6. Williamsville mommy

That's a great suggestion . We r going to the peds at 4 and I will ask for something. Ahhh, see the professionals in this site, have all the answers...thank u!!!

7. selketine

If you get steroids - oral steroids can raise the blood sugar by a lot. When William uses them for asthma I need to almost triple his insulin dose -basal and bolus. Make sure you talk to the pedi endo about increasing the insulin if you start on them.

8. Williamsville mommy

It's for my nond son...but thanks and diagnosis.......seasonal allergies!!!

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Non-d

I was trying to figure out what nond meant.

10. selketine

Yeah me too! I thought she just misspelled something else.:p

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

May I suggest you get your son a medic alert bracelet re the allergy?

12. Williamsville mommy

Yes. I will. He is going to an allergist in the next week and I just want to be sure to exactly what it is he is allergic to.
    Thank u for the concern

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just like I wonder about your "un-theathered"...