- advertisement -

allergic reactions to tape

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannong, Dec 8, 2013.

1. shannong

shannong Approved members

My son is having allergic reactions to opsite flexifix tape and hypafix tape. We need tape to tape down his contact detach sites and his dexcom.

He appears to have no reaction to the adhesive on the Dexcom or the adhesive on the contact detach and other animas site products. Anyone know what either of these use for adhesive?

After 9 days of using hypafix on his Dexcom site, my son was complaining of itching. After removal, I noticed that the blistery, red rash was in the perfect outline of where the hypafix tape was, but nothing where the actual Dexcom adhesive was.

Right now, he only has the Dexcom on and I did not tape it down. The transmitter has popped off twice in the last 2 days. I need to tape it down somehow.

Any suggestions for other tapes to use?

2. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Have you tried either Skin Tac or Mastisol instead of tape? Also you could try Sillesse under the tape, it is silicone spray or wipes. I believe they just changed the name of it and it may be less expensive now. It used to be expensive delivery because it was from the UK I think. My daughter has issues with some tapes, including the Omipod adhesive, but not the Dexcom and she is ok with Flexifix. If it were not for the Silesse, I think we would have had to give up on the pods by now.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The transmitter from Dexcom has popped off? Where are you placing the sensors? Might there be a more secure location on his body?

I also have skin reactions to a number of tapes but pretty much no reaction to Dexcom tapes. I mostly do my best to makes sure the Dexcom stays (by scrubbing off all dead skin and shaving if the area if hairy, before putting it on, and by positioning it in a good place).

4. shannong

I got a sensor failure reading, inspected the transmitter and pressed on it when I heard it click again into place. Has happened twice now. I may try his belly, but he doesn't really like to use his tummy.

Dexcom tape is fine for my son too. I ended up taping over the tranmitter but didn't let the tape go past the dexcom adhesive onto my son's skin. So far so good since doing that.

I've ordered some more tapes to try though because the Dexcom adhesive is starting to curl up at the edges.

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My son is allergic to the adhesive on the pods and the Dexcom, as well as Hypafix, Flexifix and Tegaderm. Right now, our system is to clean, use an alcohol wipe, use a barrier wipe, then insert, then tape. When we prep, we cover the entire area that will be taped so it can work on all of the adhesives. We've been waiting for a dermatology appointment (5 month wait!!) and it's finally coming up - I'm hoping they can give us better options :)

6. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I am allergic to virtually all tapes.

* Has he seen a dermatologist?

(Mine prescribed me a steroid cream, which helps.)

A cheap tape that is similar to Hypafix is Mefix tape.

I do not use a Dexcom anymore, but I wear an Omnipod and sometimes exercise strenuously in 95+ degree (Farenheit, obviously) weather. I use kinesiology tape (heat activated adhesive tape, composed of cotton and elastic-like material--wicks out sweat effectively), and I have been using Kinesio Tex Tape GOLD (Do not use Kinesio Tex Tape Classic--does not have as good of reviews). When I used the Dexcom, I cut a 6-8" strip of the 2" wide tape and applied the tape longitudinally--from below the sensor to above the sensor (not width-wise--across the body--from left to right), covering the transmitter.

However, I am now considering using RockTape instead for the Omnipod, particularly RockTape H20 (has double the amount of adhesive--but more expensive), because there are better reviews of this particular form of Kinesiology tape on Amazon.

Regardless of my previous recommendations, please consider following these taping tips when applying any sort of tape to your child to adhere the Dexcom. They are very useful and will make a difference.

* http://www.kttape.com/8-tips-for-excellent-adhesion/

In addition, consider using barrier wipes. Try searching Google. I heard of somebody who uses a Freestyle Navigator, who applies Convatec's AllKare Protective Barrier Wipes to the skin (even where the sensor is being inserted). Bard Protective Barrier Film Wipes are another popular solution.

Ostomy adhesives (or even Mastisol) can be an alternative to tape, particularly the silicone-based adhesives, which are made for people with sensitive skin. Try to avoid the latex-based adhesives, as this would be an obvious irritant to somebody with sensitive skin.

A non-adhesive alternative are spandex-type bands that wrap around the dexcom sensor and the part of the body where the sensor is applied (arm, abdomen, leg), such as Bands 4 Life.

The options all cost money, which is unfortunate, but you certainly have options to choose from. Do some research on products.

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  7. Melissata

I also noticed that you said the transmitter popped off. That shouldn't be happening at all as long as you are sure it is snapped into place on both sides when you put it on. I would call Dexcom support to report this if you are certain that you are snapping it in correctly. You shouldn't have to tape over it, it should fit very tightly. Look at it under bright light to be sure you can see both clips in place. He might end up losing it and you want to document the issue if there is one.

8. moco89

moco89 Approved members

+1

Great recommendations and points.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I use a barrier spray, and for the life of me, I can't remember the name, I'm thinking it may be benedryl

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Thanks for posting these tips! We didn't have good luck with kinesiology tape and I'll try it again with the tips and the Rock Tape H20 - sounds like it might be an option again. And thanks for the tip on silicone-based adhesives. We've had decent results with Mastisol before but had a bad reaction this weekend. I'll look into the latex/silicone-based difference now :)

11. Melissata

Sorry, I wasn't clear that the silicone product is a barrier, not an adhesive. It is now called Sensi-care Sting Free barrier, formerly Silesse. It is an ostomy product, but if you google it I'm sure you will find lots of reviews on the name Silesse. I had used others before, but none worked as well for her. I like the spray best, the wipes don't seem to have enough product on them, but it's probably because it is dryer feeling because of the silicone.

12. shannong

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We are currently trying Mefix and Mepitac (both from the same company).

Good idea to call Dexcom about the transmitter. It definitely was inserted properly (heard the 2 clicks) and inspected it, but somehow my son did manage to loosen it. Since taping it down though, no problems.

The only barrier wipe (not sure if it is considered one) was Skin Tac, but I am not sure if it was the Skin Tac or the tape, but he did have a reaction. I may try other barrier wipes.

13. moco89

moco89 Approved members

There are reports that RockTape 4" (Big Daddy), are more adherent (Reviews: Here), so if the 2" versions of RockTape, both regular and H2O do not work for you, keep that option open. There is also an H2O 4" (big daddy) version that basically only comes in black, so that would be another option too, but may also be a "last resort".

14. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Good luck.

I am sure you will find something that works.

There is no "standard" definition of barrier wipes. But, because Skin Tac does leave a residual layer, I (personally) would consider this a barrier wipe.

Unfortunately, this is a trial an error process.

This would not be an ideal option because it appears that your son is not allergic to the Dexcom tape, but the only "true" dressing that people will develop no allergy to are hydrocolloid dressings. They are expensive, unless you use the Johnson & Johnson Toughpads (can buy it at a drugstore, usually). They also do not breathe (are impermeable) at all. Be prepared to "cut a hole" where the Dexcom sensor goes. Also be prepared to use plenty of "overtape", that would be hypoallergenic to secure both the dexcom and the hydrocolloid dressing. Remember that the hydrocolloid dressing cannot wick out sweat. Hydrocolloid dressing are not realistic for "overtape" for a Dexcom.