- advertisement -

Alert Dogs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lowcountry girl, Apr 10, 2008.

1. lowcountry girl

lowcountry girl Approved members

We have a Giant Schnauzer and I have noticed since our last trip to the hospital for double ear infections and a resp. virus, that she paces our bed just on certain nights. When I've checked Leland's bs they have been 65-83. What type of training do they get and what qualifies. It seems like I already have one. :cool: Thanks in advance.

2. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

In order to be a certified service dog, your dog would need public access training. Google service dogs and you'll find more info.

Make sure you reward your dog whenever he gives you a good alert!

Kirsten

3. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

I agree with Kirsten reward for a good alert! In order to have an alert dog they have to show signs of being a good candidate and you seem to have one. If you would like for the dog to be a service dog he/she will need to go through obedience training with some extra then has to pass a test to receive a service dog tag and you will also need verification from your endo that the dog would be beneficial for your child or yourself in order to get the tag.
    We had a litter of pups on Christmas day and the puppy my son picked out has not gone through any training yet but when my sons sugars are out of whack he sits next to him and dosnt move until I come and prick his finger the puppy gets a liver treat for letting me know even though he didnt make a sound it's still a good alert. We'll work on the vocal alert later. The main thing is to have the dog around the person with diabetes as much as possible and for that person and the dog to have a bond and it will pretty much come naturally. My son and his puppy are inseperable.