- advertisement -

Afrezza has anybody tried it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by katerinas, May 30, 2015.

1. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

Insulin is not an anabolic steroid, but it is anabolic. I have 24 years of experience in biochem and sports medicine. To say insulin is not anabolic is to have basically no knowledge in human physiology.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16705065

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/pancreas/insulin_phys.html

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. Theo's dad Joe

Human Studies Finally Show Insulin to Be
    Extremely Anabolic in Human Muscle Tissue – In Vivo

Extreme hyperinsulinemia unmasks insulin’s effect to stimulate protein synthesis in human forearm.

Researchers:Teresa A. Hillier, David A. Fryburg, Linda A. Jahn, and Eugene J. Barrett Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, and General Clinical Research Center, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908

Source:Am. J. Physiol. 274 (Endocrinol. Metab. 37): E1067-E1074, 1998

Summary:In 14 healthy volunteers, forearm insulin concentrations were raised 1,000-fold above basal levels while maintaining euglycemia for 4 h. Amino acids (AA) were given to either maintain basal arterial (n = 4) or venous plasma (n = 6) AA or increment arterial plasma AA by 100% (n = 4) in the forearm. Measurements were taken of forearm muscle glucose, lactate, oxygen, phenylalanine balance, and [3H]phenylalanine kinetics at baseline and at 4 h of insulin infusion.

Results:Extreme hyperinsulinemia strongly reversed postabsorptive (fasting) muscle’s phenylalanine balance from a net release to an uptake. This marked anabolic effect resulted from a dramatic stimulation of protein synthesis and a modest decline in protein degradation. Furthermore, this effect was seen even when basal arterial or venous aminoacidemia was maintained. With marked hyperinsulinemia, protein synthesis increased further when plasma AA concentrations were also increased. Forearm blood flow rose at least two fold with the combined insulin and AA infusion, and this was consistent in all groups. These results demonstrate an effect of high concentrations of insulin to markedly stimulate muscle protein synthesis in vivo in adults, even when AA concentrations are not increased. This is similar to prior in vitro reports but distinct from physiological hyperinsulinemia in vivo where stimulation of protein synthesis does not occur. Therefore, the current findings suggest that the differences in insulin concentrations used in prior studies may largely explain the previously reported discrepancy between insulin action on protein synthesis in adult muscle in vivo vs. in vitro.

3. Theo's dad Joe

4. njswede

njswede Approved members

Yes, insulin is an anabolic, because it stiumlates the uptake of energy (which is loosely the definition of the term if I recall correctly). Now, what was your original point? That Afrezza stimulates tumor growth by being an anabolic? How is that different from regular insulin administered at e.g. a pump infusion site?

5. Theo's dad Joe

Fat rarely forms malignant tumors. The lungs are particularly prone to them. Also I am not saying that it stimulates tumor growth. I am saying that faced with the choice of inhaling or injecting, and the potential for tumor growth, if the effectiveness is equal,I would not use inhalation because the greatest concentration of the insulin will be contacting the most susceptible tissues.

I would not inject it through a melonotic patch of skin though. And the doses for T1D and T2D are very different. Lantus has been proported to have a link to tumor growth and cancer, but pretty much any anabolic agent will cause tumors to grow if you get them, and T2Ds have high levels of daily insulin while T1Ds have low levels (lower than the average non-diabetic person).