- advertisement -

Afrezza has anybody tried it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by katerinas, May 30, 2015.

1. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

At another forum I have been reading fantastic results and A1Cs with Afrezza at the point of thinking I want it NOW! Of course I know it is for people over 18 and it is not sold in Europe. So we will have to wait which isn't such a bad thing. I was wondering though if somebody here has tried it.

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Our endo office flat out told me no way when I inquired about an off label prescription for my 12 year old.

3. GChick

GChick Approved members

I'm not sure I understand. Why would it be "off label"? Off label generally means given for something other than its intended use right? How is insulin off label for a diabetic?

I must admit though, reading the anecdotes... it does seem more appealing than the idea of it did (I thought the idea of it was downright stupid at first). In that it does (claims to do?) more than just deliver insulin or some such.

4. mamattorney

Maybe off label is the wrong word. I'm saying off label because it's only approved for age 18+ and my daughter is 12. I think a doctor could prescribe it for her if they wanted to.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

No, off label are exactly the right words to use. The label indicates how to use a medication, who it is to be used for, side effects, etc. So you are correct in your terminology. :)

6. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

I second what Christopher said:
    "Off Label" is the phrase commonly used to mean using a drug in a way that it was not approved for. Using it on a child when it has only been approved for use in adults is one of the more common "off label" uses, but there are others. (For example: using a drug is higher or lower doses than approved, using it for longer than approved, using it for a different disease, or using it as a "first choice" when it has only been approved as a second line treatment.) In the US, a doctor can write a prescription for any of these situations, but they are all "off label" use.

Joshua

7. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ah. I had no idea there were age restrictions indicated.

Come to think of it, due to the "one size fits all" dose available, I can actually understand them putting a limit for children (even if it can be an appropriate dose for "some" children).... even if they do claim that "exactness" of dose isn't as big of an issue.

Carrion.

8. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

I tried to get it :p. Our endo said she needs to learn more about Afrezza. Maybe at the next visit? :wink:

9. mikegl31

mikegl31 Approved members

My son is too young to consider trying, however, the things that I am reading on other sites certainly sound promising. I am hoping that by the time he gets to an appropriate age to try it, that it is still around and has proven to work safely and more effectively then what we currently have. It sounds as if it does a great job of working quickly, leaving the system quickly, and stopping the post meal spike.

10. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

My daughter is 16 (will be 17 in September), and she is our endo's very first patient on Afrezza. She just started on it today! We're doing a one month trial. Each meal, regardless of the carb count, she is using the 4 unit cartridge. We are staying on the Omnipod for basal insulin, and she has the Dexcom CGM, which we will continue to use so we can watch the data. The endo doesn't want us to do any corrections with the Omnipod unless absolutely necessary. Daughter's goal is to go solely on Afrezza and one shot of Lantus per day. I would be glad to post updates here if anyone is interested in how she does with it.

11. mamattorney

Yes, updates, please! Would love to see how it goes!

12. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

What are her reasons for desiring to change from the Omnipod to Afrezza?

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Very interested in all you can tell us about how this goes. Thanks for checking in with this! :)

14. katerinas

Please keep us updated!! thanks!

15. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

I personally don't think it sounds like a good idea to administer an anabolic substance through a site that is particularly prone to tumor growth. I would not consider it unless I had serious problems controlling blood sugar without it and it helped.

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

Maybe explain this in more detail for us so we can follow what your concern is, please?

17. Theo's dad Joe

Insulin is anabolic which means it will promote growth. The lungs are particularly susceptible to developing pre-cancerous cells and nodules which the immune system cleans up, but if they are stimulated to grow by some anabolic agent I think it could increase the risk of them growing out of control.

18. wilf

wilf Approved members

I take it this is your own personal theory, or are you basing this on something you've read and if so a reference would be helpful..

19. Theo's dad Joe

I am putting two proven pieces together so it is a theory. Insulinogenic diets increase cancer in rats. Insulin injecting (illegally) athletes have developed specific types of tumors. Insulin speeds tumor growth. Low carb diets slow tumor growth etc. http://www.diapedia.org/associated-disorders/insulin-and-cancer

The evidence for that is everywhere.

In fact the casien milk data from the China study (which is flawed in conclusions but data rich) showed that if mice already had tumors, anabolic milk proteins which happen to stimulate insulin increase the growth of the tumors. IGF speed tumor growth. If something is anabolic it will be anabolic to tumors.

My line of reason or my theory is that it would not be best to administer an anabolic agent in an area of the body that is relatively more likely to develop tumors. You can take that or leave it.

Also be mindful that type 1 diabetics are using typically very little insulin, unless they are eating a carb rich diet, so the overall risk of cancer in type 1 diabetics should be less than in the general population of carb consumers in my opinion.

20. katerinas

insulin is not an anabolic it is a peptide hormone!!!! It is a very useful protein that our body needs and makes! Please before you make these kind of statements read the basics!