- advertisement -

Advise on pump sites/sets

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by monkeyschool, Jun 8, 2011.

1. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Last week we tried an inset 30 in the abdomen and had to pull it pretty quickly because it was hurting. We also tried a quickset 6mm in the rear and that worked well. We are going back inon Fri to have someone evaluate the abdomen again to see what would be a good fit so that we can use it along with the rear. I am hoping you guys can share what has worked for this with small kiddies with very little body fat so that I can be better informed for our appointment. At this point we can't even pinch enough in DDs abdomen to do shots.

Any pros cons to any of the sets? Especially for a very active child (forgot to mention thighs are not an option because if this too)

Thank you in advance,
    D.

2. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I would try the comfort short. It has a shorter cannula. This means it doesn't go in as deep. Generally pain is you hit a nerve.
    Wendy

3. monkeyschool

Thank you. Haven't heard of that one. I will def. Ask about it. The choices we had were the quickset, inset, inset 30, and mio? Plus the one that looks just like that one, but by the other company. Will the comfort short work with the animas?

Didn't know about the nerve either. I thought it may be too long and hit muscle ;-(. So it is worth trying the same again too then just in case we had it in a bad spot.

4. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We use Mio

My son uses mios on his rear. We went from the butterly type you insert yourself - I didn't like that - to quick set - to mio. I liked the quickset fine, but on younger child it sticks out a little more than the mio. The mio lies flatter and I personally have an easier time removing it to go swimming than the quickset.

We use the 6 mm with no problem. When my son used his stomach, he cried that it hurt - because he is so lean. So we stick with the top of the rear. I did use a site before on the outside of the thigh, but it just wasn't convenient.

Good luck.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

My best advice is to try silhouettes - they go in at an angle, which may make them better for super skinny kids. We used them for years and just recently switched to quick sets.

6. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Ditto on the Silhouettes! We had to use those for my daughter. Started with Quicksets, which almost never worked, and then switched to Sils. You can get the 13mm length, and if you hand insert like we did, you can do a more shallow insertion.

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We tried Inset 30s on my son's tummy, but had nothing but trouble. He had pain one time, we had an occlusion alarm (the only one we've ever had) another time, and just plain bad BGs in general. He is also very skinny. We've gone back to the butt, but I do want to try the tummy again to give his butt sites a rest!

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I agree silhouettes are a good choice. I do not recall ever having a problem with them. You are more likely to find them marketed under the name comfort if you are going to be using animas.

So you can go with the comfort shot as Wendy suggested or the regular comforts.

I have never used the comfort short myself but imagine they also work well also.

9. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

MM just ordered us the Sure T sets. I just read up on them and it sounds like instead of a soft cannual the needle stays in! Is this correct and anyone have experiance with this? She isn't scheduled for the saline run until 7/5 and I'm extra nervouse if she has a neddle in her all the time she is playing.

Thanks,

Lynne

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Yes, it's a straight-in steel set. The needle stays in. We've only used this type of set (before it was the Contact-Detach, same thing) and honestly, apart from a few times when my son felt some discomfort, it really is not problem at all with moving and all that.

11. lynn

lynn Approved members

Have you considered using her arms? Nathan is too thin to use his tummy and too muscular in the legs to use those. We use his buns and his arms and I have found that the arms tend to give us more consistent numbers. Nathan likes using his arms best too---he says it hurts on his butt when he moves wrong but it hardly ever hurts on his arms.

12. monkeyschool

The arms are tough. She has very little there, but it is working well enough when pinched for shots, but the other issue is dance. Not sure how we would manage the tubing with the leo. At this point we are thinking of doing a belly pouch during dance so I thought rear/abdomen may be best. Do you think there is a way to work arms around leotards? I am open to all options at this point.

13. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Okay the comfort shorts will work with an animas pump. They have a shorter cannula length then the sil's and the inset 30's. The do not come with the inserter option. I will tell you a lean kid that the comfort shorts maybe the way you need to go.
    Wendy

14. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

We have a really active little guy and we started out using the contact detach, but we kept getting blood in the tubing so we switched to the comfort shorts. Because they don't have an inserter you can insert them at the angle you want. At first I was a little intimidated by it, but now it's fine. I have found that the comfort shorts leave more of a "pump bump" than the contact detach did.

15. 22jules

22jules Approved members

My daughter did dance and does gymnastics currently and we disconnect the pump during these times so there is no need to worry about tubing. The activity is enough that she never needed the insulin. You can also bolus some basal upfront before disconnecting if your daughter dances for longer than an hour or seems to need the missing basal.

If the site is visible she usually just slips on a wristband to cover it--she has skinny arms--just so people don't constantly ask what the site is. Although it seems like we don't have enough fat the arms work really well for us using a silhouette or angled site. Just make sure if you put one there that you place the connecting part up towards the head so the tubing can go up and then down in the shirt. Hopefully this make sense.

16. lynn

lynn Approved members

I think you could do it even with skinny arms. Nathan's arms are thin and he has been using them for sites since he started pumping a month before his fourth birthday.

If you use a tummy pump pouch to hold the pump then I don't see why it wouldn't work. The tubing will hang out, which has never been an issue for Nathan, but that may bother her. Then Nathan goes without a shirt in the hot weather and his site is in his arm then we tape the tubing to his back, shoulder blade area. That keeps it from "flopping" out so much.

Whatever way you go, I hope you get things figured out soon!

17. monkeyschool

We went to the appointment this morning and so far so good....G has two angled sets on her abdomen, an Inset30 and a Comfort Short. Neither are bothering her (yippee), but the Comfort Short is already peeling off while the Inset30's tape is holding strong.

She also has a straight Inset on the tush area that is not bothering her as well as another inset in the lower back (both her and I really like this area, it seems to be less intrusive and less obvious in a leo too.... (I put a couple of pix up on the blog...we had to go leo shopping after the appointment). Both insets feel okay and the tape is sticking well on both.

She was relieved to see the pain from last time on the 30 was not normal too.

Thank you all for your continuous input. I greatly appreciate it :)
    D.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  18. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

I'm so glad to hear it is working out. My DD's pump and inset 30's were just delivered today. When I read your posts I got a little nervous!

How did the insertion go with the inset 30's? was there a difference between them and the others you have tried? I have read that the angle sets have a "stronger pinch" and wondering what your CWD thought.

Again, I'm glad the "ouch" is gone!!!!!

19. monkeyschool

Congratulations on your new pump's arrival :)

The insertion of the inset 30s was not bad. G was a bit apprehensive at first because it hurt the last time around so she was already a bit weary about doing another 30. The nurse that did it was very cool though, she distracted G and inserted it during the distraction. When it was over G said she barely noticed it. Once she was home she said the 30s were not so bad, and that she thought the insertion was much better than she expected it to be.

She picked the inset 30s and the insets as her sets of choice.

Looking forward to your pump updates.
    D.