- advertisement -

Advice please!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwimum, Nov 18, 2008.

1. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Okay...

We have just had a meeting with the Minimed rep about getting a pump.

It is the only rep we have spoken to and the only pump that we have really had a good play with. Tyler loved it and wants it!

Carl and I also like it. We like the fact that further down the track we can add the CGMS to it. We like that the after hours support is based in the US. We like that it simple enough to use - well for Tyler and Carl anyway. Might take me a bit longer!

BUT... should we also look at the Animas as originally intended before we make the decision. Or should we just go with our gut and get the Minimed without looking at any others?

Help Please!

2. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Tough call. I mean if you're positive then go for it. But if you haven't looked at any others, it might be a good idea. You won't know until you look. You might love it even more. And if you end up with the minimed after looking at the animas you'll KNOW you made the right choice.

3. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I would look at all the pumps that you have access to, that way you can go with the one you like the most and not have any regrets from not seeing the others for comparsion.

You can also do Minimed's pump school online and "see" how things look.
    I would see what was available online with the other pumps too.

Good luck, I really like my pump,I have the minimed 722 and I would not like to go back to MDI.

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

The MM is really good - we have the paradigm 722. The reps keep leaving down here - I think support would be better up in Auckland - thats where they are based. The pump has been reliable - but the cgm that goes with the mm is a diagonal insertion - and the first set we tried was 45' and hurt like heck. I think the dexcom or navigator would be more comfortable (our dd is a lean build) The Animas seem to have fantastic staff over here - although I read on several blogs about a year ago that the units were not quite as reliable. I would have a look at both before I made up my mind - if blessed with hindsight. The MM sets fit only onto MM pumps whereas consumables for the other pumps are mainly interchangeable. Might give you more flexibility.
    I definitely would not go back to MDI - the pump gives you freedom! Have fun choosing - there are some cool skins - we have jelly beans! Liz
    PS the US after hours support is really really good!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  5. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

Debs,
    go with your gut, if Tyler loves it, go with your instinct, Dylan loves his minimed...he saw the Animas too before the Minimed.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

7. Scotty's Mum

Scotty's Mum Approved members

We love our MM. We haven't had to use the after hours support they offer here, so cant comment on it and our rep is also great. Our consumables usually arrive the next morning after ordering them, and Scott loves the skins also.

8. hockey7

hockey7 Approved members

Just to confuse you completly we have the animas and have found it great mainly because Matt has very small insulin requirements 0.025 is the lowest basal and we use it but if you dont require very small amounts of insulin you may find another pump more suited ..we tried the CGMS last week it went great with the animas we have had no problems with the pump and I can recommend their service it has always been brillant I remember ringing the rep at 12.30 am when the pumped alarmed the Rep in wellington was great and even though I woke her up she was great and we spoke for about 15 min trying to sort the problem out ... Having bought a pump a year ago my suggestion is meet every rep from each company , not only making your decision on the pump that suits you but also on the service.... Minimed in the states ... Animas in New Zealand etc..... you will get a feel for who u like dealing with and most of all good luck...I know its not a easy decision..:)

9. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Jane - unfortunately Tyler won't even consider looking at the Cozmo. Apparently to a 13 yr old boy, it is 'uncool'. The word hideous has been uttered on more than one occasion!

As for the Animas, Tyler did the online virtual tour and hated it. We also are thinking that the bigger resevoir on the MM will be better for Tyler seeing as he is hormonal and his insulin needs are likely to go up and down over the next few years.

Carl really really wants it because he likes the idea of the software being web-based and free! More toys for the boys!

None of you are really helping! What I want is someone to tell us that we should just get the MM. Why do you all have to be so sensible?

10. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

Ok - not to throw you completely off - but Willow loved the MM until the rep came tonight from Omni Pod and now she is wearing a demo and LOVEING it. We did the online tutorials and they are nothing comparred to seeing and feeling. I say if he is happy with the MM go for it - but he might really like seeing and feeling something else too . . . a 4 year commitment is a long time . . .for us - we want to be sure it is what we want and are ready to stick with it!

11. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

We would love to look at the Omnipod. Unfortunately it isn't available in NZ so isn't even on the radar for us. I did write to them and ask about the possibility of it coming here and they said NO! But I believe it is going to be available in Australia in the next year or so, so we are hoping that it will cross the ditch to us soon after! But of course by then we will already be pumping!:D

12. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Just go and get the MM and stop mucking around here :p

13. Kelly

Kelly Approved members

Go the mini med... we have had to have a replacement.... however the support was wonderful. We are in Australia, and they still organised for us to have a replacement pump the very next day. They eventually ended up replacing ours too as it was taking too long to fix... one day apparently wee will get the other one back too. :rolleyes:

Overall, I LOVE the minimed pump. The colours rock, the size is decent (it doesn't look too big on Anastacia now), its easy to use. If your son loves oit, go for it... one less battle to fight. ;)

14. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

We didn't look at any other pumps - just went with the MM. :p

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Thats totally up to you.. it doesn't state anywhere that you HAVE to look at more than one pump, if you think MM is what you want and what your son wants the go for it. When we were pump looking it was between MM and Animas. I looked at Animas briefly, but did more looking at MM at first.. felt that was the right pump for Kaylee so we went with it, I never looked in depth at any other pump because I felt we were making the correct decision with MM.. she's been pumping for over 2.5 years and I'm so glad we went with MM:)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  16. selketine

selketine Approved members

If it isn't a hardship of time, money or effort, I would look at the other pumps - or at least one other pump. I think it is helpful to get another perspective. Sometimes another pump rep will bring up things you had not considered. I think it will help solidify in your mind what you like and don't like about each.

Both MM and Animas are great pumps (and Cozmo and Omnipod, etc). There are some interesting difference on how pumps calculate insulin on board (IOB) - that might be important to you later. Also investigate the differences in their upgrade programs.

Animas has the smallest basal and bolus rate increments - but your child is older and this might not matter. We spent the last 4 years on an Animas pump and have decided to go with Animas for the next one (we need the smaller basal rate increments still). The rep told me yesterday they hope to roll out a partnered CGMS with Dexcom in July - of course until it happens who knows how long it will take. I haven't thought the Dexcom too impressive in its current form - but it is the most inexpensive. Cozmo is partnering with the Navigator. I really like the Navigator vs. the MM CGMS system. I suppose if you can, it might be helpful to look at CGMS's before you decide as well.;)

17. owensmom

owensmom Approved members

We were set on buying minimed and guess what? We came home with a Cozmo and love it! We love pumping and to that end any pump would be the right pump. Do what feels right for your family.

18. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb really wanted the MM. We had told the endo that was the one he was going to be using. Then he wanted to have both MM and Animas come to the house just to make sure. He got to play around with both of them and changed his mind. He has the PING and loves it.

I would say to have the reps come over. If nothing else it will just confirm that the MM is the best and you will never have to wonder if you picked the right one.

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

"I, Sarah, Mother of Maddie, Senior Member of CWD, dog lover, gardener, over educated underemployed citizen of the World, hereby give you, Kiwimum, permission to get the MM pump and look no further in your quest for the ultimate insulin delivery system."

Will that do?:rolleyes:

20. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

GET THE MINIMMED DEBS!!!

now get your butt to the phone and call Michelle!!!:)