- advertisement -

adults and children with type 1 becoming overweight and obese?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by C6H12O6, Aug 12, 2012.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I really do beleive that I am correct, that the body can and does create new fat cells if there is excess and that we do not loss them with weight loss, they just shrink. In the last 5ish years I have taken several different courses in biology and nutrition from which I have learned this information. I do not have time right now to look up a references as I have sold back most of those books.

If I am incorrect I am sorry for any mis-information, really.

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Fat cells are formed in the developing fetus during the third trimester of pregnancy, and later at the onset of puberty, when the sex hormones "kick in." It is during puberty that the differences in fat distribution between men and women begin to take form. One amazing fact is that fat cells generally do not generate after puberty -- as your body stores more fat, the number of fat cells remains the same." http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/fat-cell.htm

Before someone corrects me I will admit that some literature does suggest that the body can generate more fat cells. I do believe this is in cases of obesity and more likely morbid obesity .

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I see the effect of all this on my DD, plus the problem of bolusing for a plate of food and then feeling full halfway through. They have to finish their food regardless of appetite and my DDs eyes are often bigger than her stomach. So,it's finish or find something higher in carbs and possibly worse for you to make up the difference.

Weight loss programs really emphasize eating until you're satiated, understanding that feeling, and putting down the fork before you feel really fool. Often not an option for our kids.

I'm sure our kid's signals get mixed up in all sorts of ways. I'm impressed with a PWD who is able to overcome all those pitfalls, as well as social pressures, and manages to stay at a reasonably healthy weight. It isn't easy.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

5. wildemoose

wildemoose Approved members

I've never heard of this, nor has it been my experience. I definitely feel full after eating and I don't eat all that much. I will say that going on the pump has allowed me to eat for 'pleasure' in a way I'd never been able to before. I don't mean overeat, but to choose what I want to eat without worrying about getting enough carbs in. I think the pump has actually helped me maintain my weight because I'm able to set my basals so that I don't go low nearly as much, and because now I can eat a salad if I want to, for example, without adding additional carbs.

If this anecdotal data helps at all--I've been basically the same weight my entire adult life, give or take 10 pounds or so. I've always been on the chubby end of normal BMI, but never overweight. My two brothers are both Type 1 as well, one is an average healthy weight and one is super skinny, 6 feet tall and 140 pounds.

6. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

7. timsma

timsma Approved members

I just asked Tim if he's ever had an issue with not feeling full. He thought I was nuts for even asking it, lol. He's not had that problem though, and I'm thankful for that.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Our endos have never made any comments about this. Not sure why, but my best guess is that our son is on the skinny side and gains weight very slowly.:confused:

For the above reasons, we also don't think (or worry) too much about gaining weight, even when treating lows.

I'm not making much sense, I guess, but no, this is not something we personally worry about.

On a related note, the whole "you can eat anything as long as you bolus for it" was something we were also told, but we don't stick to it entirely, paying more attention at home with what is eaten, and allowing the occasional parties and whatever. I think choices should be made when possible, but not just because of D, but because it is better overall for everyone.

9. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Among the other reasons mentioned, this is one of the major issues that has caused me to gain weight. When I was first diagnosed this wasn't an issue, but has slowly become more troublesome in the 8.5 years since diagnosis. It was getting to the point that I eat a full meal (often more than my father would eat) and then be hungry within the hour. If I wasn't hungry, then I would be thinking about food and wondering when my next meal would be and what I would be eating. I began to eat 2-3 full meals per day and then 3-4 large snacks. It wasn't hard to figure out why I gaining weight when I didn't feel full until I had eaten as much as a teenage boy and then that feeling of satiety didn't last.

I tried Symlin (which is amylin) with no real benefit to my satiety issues and it ended up causing severe hypos. However, a few months ago, I was put on Victoza (which is off-label for type 1s) for a reason unrelated to hunger issues. However, one of the "side-effects" is to help patients feel full. For the first time in years, I am eating normal sized meals and snacking much less. I no longer think about food 24/7 and I am finally losing weight!

So long story short, yes this does happen and can be quite problematic!:)

10. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

Maybe its because of when I was diagnosed (going on 15 years this september) but I have NEVER had a doctor say anything about my weight. If anything, they've always wanted me to gain weight. I was always the scrawny kid growing up. of this. I've always had a hard time gaining weight. I was constantly in the 30th percentile or less for my age. It was literally impossible to give a shot in my stomach or legs without hitting muscle. Even now, I still avoid my legs because of that. I've always been under the impression that diabetes made ti harder to gain weight. If you don't have enough insulin in your system, your body can't process the calories, so it would be literally impossible to gain weight. (think, diabulemia, where people do this on purpose to lose weight)

It took me until my freshman year of college before I broke 150lbs. And even now, people don't believe me when I tell them my weight. They still think I look scrawny.