- advertisement -

adrenaline highs during rugby

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by Pauji5, May 24, 2012.

1. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

My son Spencer is a big Rugby player....I have a daughter who's had d for almost 5 years and he's 2 years in....

We're finding he's always high during the games, and well after, like 190 - 250

I'm always hesitant to correct too much...I worry about fast lows...What do other sports people do? just wondering???

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Our endo advised that what the high level athletes at our clinic have found to work best is to have a covered protein/carb/fat snack 1 1/2 hours before the game. We have tried it for hockey and it worked perfectly. Of course, checking every 1/2 hour is mandatory with any insulin on board.

3. shannong

shannong Approved members

4. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Paula

Candidly, doing absolutely nothing is one very real possibility, of many obviously. Contrary to the scrutiny (sic. hyper scrutiny) of some, leaving someones sugar entirely alone is quite viable for many athletics.

It gives us a valid buffer to eat through, if/when we require such blood sugar regardless of the specific activity. Sometimes, IMHE I propose it is far better to let us just be athletes, be kids instead of "diabetic" starting every single breathe.

With respect... I contend and propose (I hope gently) that it is ok, just to let us us play rugby, run cross country, play karate, whatever the activity might be. Testing every 30 minutes... WILL come back to bite you at some point long term... as diabetics I guarantee we will balk... somewhere down the line.

Respectfully...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  5. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I just saw the response from this thread from over a year ago.....Spencer still plays rugby, in fact, made the Illinois State Rugby team....

He has found that he runs higher before practices and games, like 180's, sips gatorade throughout the games and practices, then corrects later. His numbers are back in the low 100's night....

He tests before, during the half and after and it is working well for him.....
    Thanks!